Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, May 3, 2019

Finding Beautiful Emails in an Old Account

I have not used my AOL email account for a long time. Only notifications for Facebook have gone there in recent years.
But tonight, I decided to check on that account. I had about 5,000 emails in my Inbox, all notifications. But I had others saved in folders.
What I found were many wonderful loving and caring words from family and friends who wrote to me after Barry died. I cried again when I read them.

A wonderful man, Richard Argo, writer and facilitator of one of our monthly events sent this email, and I want to share it with you.

Glenda,
I am so sorry to hear about Barry's passing.  I was so much hoping he  
would pull through.  May I offer a portion of a poem by John Lynch  
Adair called Joy Returneth with the Morning.

So may it be, good Lord of all,
 When into darkness sinks my sun,
 And my stars go out, one by one,
To such calm slumber may I fall.
 And that which only faith had been,
 Awake to find a truth to be,
 Where no white sails go out to sea,
 But are forever coming in.

Peace be unto you,

Richard Argo

Sadly, it was not long before Richard was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away much too soon.

4 comments:

  1. That is a truly lovely hope-filled poem - which I hope Richard (and Barry) found to be true.
    Which is an odd thing for my non-believing self to feel, but so it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never in a habit of saving email messages unless they contained important information. Thus, I don't have any of the messages I received from my husband Bill or anyone else when he was alive. I even threw away the letter he mailed me in which he asked me to marry him. I was too much in shock. Oh well, life goes on. I'm glad you have your mementos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A comment from DJan that was deleted by accident.


    That is a lovely poem and I can see why it made you cry once again. Blessings to you on this day. DJan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbie, I was always a letter writer as was my mother and my sisters. I saved many letters as did my mother. She saved the love letters from my father so many years ago.
    It makes me sad that words are often lost, important and loving words, because with email it is easy to just delete everything as though it never mattered. I am such a sentimental person that I hold on to loving and kind words that show the feelings of family and close friends.
    I also journal and have for many years. How much of our history has been written from journals saved by our ancestors?
    We are all different in these matters. I have nieces who don't want anything left to them by parents, especially sentimental things. Maybe it is also generational. I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.