Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Silas House says: No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent



A few years ago I had the pleasure of hearing Silas House speak at a NCWN Fall Conference in Asheville, NC.
I knew he was a good writer, but I enjoyed his speech more than anyone I've ever heard at a conference. He definitely has a deep southern accent. He said when he went to New York to speak with his publisher and others, he could tell they had to get used to his way of speaking. 

House, the author of numerous books among his other achievements, tells us how, ten years ago, he did not let someone make him feel ashamed or inferior because of his Kentucky accent. Instead, House enjoyed proving this man wrong.



2 comments:

  1. Wise advice. Sadly I too often DO consent to feeling inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read his post and wondered f I have heard him, since I listen to NPR often. It's strange to think that people might not like the sound of a Southern accent; I think it's lovely. Thank you for introducing me to the man behind the voice. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.