Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Is it Time to Reinvent Me, Again?



Today I made the decision to cancel my upcoming writing classes for this summer. After much soul-searching, I realized that all my time lately is spent at physical therapy, water exercises and other methods of improving my health. For the time being, I must give myself the attention I need. 

Making commitments while dealing with chronic pain and fatigue is difficult. I can still write from home when I feel like it and I can attend a few events when it is convenient, but I don't want others depending on me to be at my best when they pay for classes if I can't be sure I will be at my best.

So, this will free me up for the summer. Mary Mike and I want to go on a genealogy research trip or two when my PT is done. I also plan to spend a week at my sister's in Roswell, GA. I call her house my "town house" and she says my house is her "mountain house." It is fun to visit the city for a few days where I get to eat at some of my favorite restaurants and shop at some stores I enjoy.

Also, when I am away from this house, I don't worry about what needs to be done here. I am even thinking about what it might be like to move to a 55+ community where someone else takes care of the maintenance. I am not sure what is available in my area. But, I am thinking of checking it out.

I am still not able to move things back into my storage room which was flooded recently. When I have time at home, I try to go through boxes I took out of that room. That is quite a job, but I make such neat discoveries. You know how it is, you find things you forgot you had or that you thought had been lost. 

My dear friend, Tipper, put me in contact with her lovely daughter who is between jobs right now and the smart, strong young woman came over one afternoon to help me. She was my legs, up and down the stairs, in and out to the garage, and in just two hours we accomplished so much! 

I have known Tipper's twins since they were little kids and I love seeing how they have matured and become charming young women. My spirits lifted and even the pain faded while working with this Pressley Girl. The twins sing and play instruments and are very popular throughout western NC and north Georgia. I needed someone who could work flexible hours and that is just what Corie wants -- flexible hours. Next week, she will come over again. I look forward to seeing her. 

I have reinvented myself several times over the years, and I feel I am on the verge of a new invention of Me.  How about you? Have you reinvented yourself at different times in your life?

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes.
    I have reinvented myself when circumstances demanded it.
    As my abilities decline I continue to do so.
    I am really impressed that you have the sense to step away from classes and look after yourself. I fail on that front too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I sure have! When I think of the many people I have been, and the ones I still have ahead of me, I am buoyed up by the possibilities. Thank you for being smart enough to take care of yourself, Glenda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I sail out on the new waves of ME, I am excited to see what comes next. Already I am writing for myself and not planning classes for others. I listened to Brene Brown tonight, her hour-long documentary on Netflix. No matter our age, we must step out or lean in, as they say today, and have courage, take risks and not be afraid to be vulnerable. Not planning for work every day will be new for me, but I look forward to it.
    Glad I am not alone in the reinventing myself, and I admire both of you. EC, I understand how you have had to reinvent yourself with MS. DJan, when you gave up skydiving, you had to become someone else, didn't you? You found you pleasure and joy in other things.
    I did it when Barry died, and for ten years I have been the teacher, the helper and mentor, but I feel I need to head in a different direction now. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you needed to cancel your class this summer. I'm sure your students are just as disappointed. I hope you'll be able to teach in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Abbie. My life is quite different now. I spent an hour at the heated pool today and now I am told I should have an MRI done. Yes, I will miss my students and I hope to teach again later on. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.