Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Fighting loneliness when you are ill


I am re-blogging this post from Writing Through Cancer.   https://writingthroughcancer.com/2019/01/14/for-january-14-2019-loneliness-its-bad-for-your-health/

So many older people, after having lost a spouse, find themselves alone and lonely. This is an excellent article on why we should fight loneliness in order to take care of our own health.  We have to reach out to others. Many people are lonely in this country. Maybe that is why we have so many people on social media today. They want someone to listen to them.

Please read the blog post in the link above, and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. As you may know in addition to a having a chronic medical condition (which does induce loneliness) I volunteer on a crisis line. I think that loneliness is behind at least 90% of the calls. And, like anxiety and depression, it is a skilled and practised liar that convinces people that they somehow 'deserve' to be lonely and can expect nothing else.
    It is certainly a killer. Subtle but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EC, for this comment. You are in a place to see what loneliness can do to people. I have known people who were married and living together to experience loneliness. I am a people-person and if I go a couple of days with no human face to talk to, I go find someone. Do you think depression brings on loneliness or does loneliness bring depression? I admire you very much for volunteering on a crisis line. I imagine you have helped many people who felt they had no one to turn to. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which comes first? A chicken and egg question perhaps. I think they feed each other. Depression can cause people to feel isolated and lonely and can cause people to isolate themselves. And loneliness can trigger depression. I am as likely to feel lonely (that not fitting in/not belonging thing) when I am with people as I am on my own.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.