Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Nancy Posey's blog for readers

On my sidebar, I have a list of blogs I visit. One of them is this one:  http://discriminatingreader.blogspot.com/

Anyone who is interested in reading books will find this blogger writes the best reviews of what she is reading.
Nancy Posey is a reader, writer and teacher. She wears all three hats as she writes about the books she reads.

I often share her blog posts with friends who are avid readers. Although I don't read as many novels as I once did, I put many of Nancy's suggested books on my TBR list. 
Today I am putting this book, Love and Ruin, Another Mrs. Hemingway, on the list. I hope I can find it on Audible. Most of the time, now, I listen to books instead of reading them.
What about you? Do you listen to books or still prefer to read the words?

6 comments:

  1. Reading for me. I find voices distracting when/if they don't match the image in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many books on my Kindle but much prefer having a bonafide book in my hands, with pages to turn and everything. I don't listen to audible books right now, because I figure when I go blind (which is in my future), I'll do nothing else. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also prefer listening to books instead of reading them. Did you know that Amazon smart speakers read Kindle books aloud? I recently got an Amazon Tap, thanks to a gift certificate from my brother for my birthday. I like the voice that reads these books, so if you have such a speaker, you might want to ⠛⠊⠧⠑ that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, I hope that your vision never leaves you, but I can understand your feelings about reading a real book.
    I have many books on my Kindle and can't seem to find the time to read them. I use the Audible books at night after I turn off my light. I go to sleep listening to the reader. Right now I am listening to Mary Karr read from her memoir,Lit. She is a good reader of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EC, thanks for your comment. I hope people will always want to read books, hold them and turn pages. I can't imagine what my life would be like without books. Most of my reading is from books on writing and books that help me with my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbie, I will have to become educated about the Amazon Smart Speakers reading Kindle books. So much about the new technology that I have yet to learn.
    This week I am learning to use a blue tooth head phone with my smart phone. In Georgia there is a law against using your phone while driving. Since I drive down to Atlanta very often and usually call my sister while on the way, I have to find a way to call without touching my phone. I know it is safer, but harder for me now.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.