Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Talk to your older relatives before they are gone. They have great stories.

Sunday is almost over and I am just getting to my computer. I hope you all had a great day. The sun shone here, and it was a nice break from all the rain.

I gave myself permission (yes, sometimes I have to do that) to while away my afternoon watching a movie on Netflix. I kind of napped some, too.

Tonight is the big Oscar’s night on TV and I am not big on watching award shows. Tomorrow all the shows will encapsulate the most interesting moments and that leaves me with more time tonight.
I do have a little interest however in this year’s show. The woman I most admire these days is Jane Fonda. http://www.vogue.co.uk/article/jane-fonda-red-carpet-style  

She is 80 and looks like she is thirty. Just this afternoon, as I was going through boxes, I pulled out one of Jane’s exercise tapes. I couldn’t do those exercises when I bought it and surely could not do it now. So it will go with all those other useless things I am ridding myself of and I won’t look back.

I not only admire Jane Fonda for keeping herself fit, but she has not given into ageing or the presumptions we Americans have about ageing. 

She is still working and stars in a television show, Grace and Frankie on Netflix. She keeps herself relevant to the times. Isn’t that what all of us want as we age? Not to be forgotten or to become invisible, but to be listened to and contacted when we can make a difference.

So many times I see younger people with an older relative or parent, and they never listen to the older person nor do they ask for his input. The younger ones talk loud and laugh and make so much noise that the older person can’t be heard. They show no respect nor interest in wisdom that could be important to them in the future.

My father used to leave the dinner table when my grown brothers began telling their stories. We all laughed, and everyone talked loudly. He would go into his bedroom and watch television or read. Some of us criticized him for doing so, but I understand him better now that I am near the age he was then. He was left out of the conversation completely, and had difficulty hearing and understanding. Mother sat there and smiled, but I am sure now that she was not understanding everything either.

As we get older most of us prefer smaller groups and being with people whom we can exchange ideas and opinions. Our hearing becomes impaired, and our voices are not always as strong as those who are younger. When older people have difficulty hearing they can become isolated and shut themselves away from the world.

I urge anyone who has a parent still living to go to them and ask them to tell you about their youth. You must be genuinely interested, however, or you will not pay attention. I think it is best to ask detailed questions to get your relative thinking about a time or a place that will provoke more memories. If possible use a small recorder so you don't forget important details.

I often ask my older brother, almost 89 now, to tell me about our family before I was born. I learn the most surprising things.
Two of my Council cousins - she is over 100 years old.
Most of my writing classes are designed for writers who want to share their life stories. I am amazed at the lives my students tell about in their memoirs. We all have unique stories, and they will not be told unless we tell them. In the coming months I will be teaching again and I look forward to hearing more of those interesting tales.

Have you written any stories about your life that others would find interesting and unique?

Other similar posts. Birthdays, What to Celebrate




7 comments:

  1. I saw Jane at the Oscars last night, and she does indeed look wonderful. I wasn't really a fan of the shoulders on her dress, but otherwise it was amazing. Rita Moreno was there, too, and she's 86. Oh, and Eva Marie Saint, at 90, all of them looking wonderful and inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father made an oyster look garrulous, and my mother's relationship with the truth wasn't intimate. We had no contact with any other relatives. And I mourn. So many questions, never to be answered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, the Oscars show did show off some of our older women in movies. I saw Rita Moreno today and she is truly amazing. I think this shows that more people are living longer lives, but it shows, too, that people with the financial means for health care and cosmetic surgery can look better as they age.
    I am dismayed when I look closely at my face and see those fine wrinkles that were not there last year. I admire women who persevere, like you DJan, and continue to pursue things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC, I mourn, too, for the loss of a family you never were allowed to know. Of course, my motto is, It is Never Too Late. With Genealogy online today, you can find almost anyone and it could turn out to be a good thing. I have met several cousins since I started doing genealogy online and I like them all.

    I plan to take a couple of genealogy classes this month with a fine local teacher. I hope I learn more about my Georgia and Florida relatives and ancestors.

    EC, are your parents native to Australia or did they come from somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father was a German Jew, and we think the only survivor in his family. My mother was English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit so many important themes in this post. Number one, Jane Fonda is EIGHTY? I didn't realize that. She has certainly done a lot to keep her body and her mind young. I don't believe in cosmetic surgery (most times a woman looks worse to me, stretching her face to take away wrinkles). I think if our attitude is young, and we keep active, then we seem much younger than our wrinkles. Besides, wrinkles are a sign of many smiles and a life well-lived.

    My mom and dad told my brother and me many stories of their lives when they were children, teenagers and young marrieds. I recently made an updated photo album from my mom's old photo albums from the 1940s and 50s. Even though she has dementia now, it's wonderful seeing the expression on her face as I show her each newly re-vitalized photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment,roughwighting. Like you I keep updating old photographs albums that belonged to my older sister and Mother. Even with dementia, your mother probably enjoys talking about her youth or hearing you talk about her youth.
    I agree with you about our laugh lines, wrinkles, but I hate those tiny fine lines that have suddenly appeared on my cheeks.
    Today a good friend talked about her husband who passed away at 93 recently. She said, " I kind of look forward to lying beside him, on my usual side, where we will sleep together again." She sounded happy and I understand. There comes an age, I think, when we are ready to go, and I think about that more each day. This world is getting too crazy and, just keeping up with all that must be done, becomes a huge chore.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.