Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, November 4, 2017

My brother and nephew, entertainers and comedians

A concert and dinner with my brother Max, his son Gabe, and my sister and her husband Stu, made my weekend so much fun.
Gay Moring, Max Council, Glenda Beall
In my family Max is  known for his humor and his son Gabe is following in his father's footsteps. We all met in Cartersville, GA for dinner at Table 20 just off Main Street. We had an hour and thirty minutes before the concert began at the Grant theater just a few steps down the street. A train runs through the town and we were all stuck waiting for the longest one I've seen in years but we arrived at about the same time. Max and Gabe drove up from south Georgia. Gay, Stu and I from Roswell, GA where I was spending a few days.


We laughed like school kids at the hilarious stories Max told us about his sons working at the family business, Hercules Bumpers, in Pelham, GA. Gabe told us that being the boss's son was no picnic. He was handed the dirtiest and toughest job in the plant when he was a young man working in summer before going to college. I had not heard these stories and fell in love with my nephew's knack for holding forth like his father and having his listeners practically rolling on the floor. 

Glenda, Max, Gabe and Gay
I don't see Gabe and Max as often as I'd like. Max is eighty-eight years old. His devoted son enjoys his father, and they spend every Sunday afternoon driving to small towns and through the countryside, visiting sites they have heard about but have not taken in before.


Recently they visited the home of Gene Talmadge, former governor of Georgia back in the forties. Gabe said Max enthralled the staff with his memories of Mr. Talmadge's reign. The controversial politician was known as the red-suspendered man because he always wore them. Max, who has an unbelievable memory, sang the jingle used in Talmadge's campaign. The staff was so delighted with my brother, they said they might call him to tell his stories to visitors at the old Talmadge home. My father did not like Gene Talmadge and after reading about him, I understand.


Hearing Max speak tonight reminded me that the oral history of our families often disappear when our loved ones are gone. We should take advantage of folks like my brother and record his  memories.



I talk with  Max often on the phone and Gabe and I email, but that doesn't take the place of a good visit like we had the night of the concert. The love between sisters and brothers is a special thing that overcomes all the anger or frustration created in a lifetime of family. No matter how upset we become at times, we never forget that we have a tie that lasts and heals those difficult times. Max is the brother I have had the most fights with and loved the best when I was a  child.


He has many faults as do I, but he was a wonderful brother to two little girls. He has always been the one in our family that made us all laugh. He is also an artist, a singer, a songwriter, and a poet. His song lyrics are touching and beautiful, as were songs back in the forties and fifties.



He loved our mother deeply and wrote a sweet and clever poem for her one Mother's Day. It was framed and hung on the wall until her death. He is a good sport and is not afraid to make fun of himself.  Max is the last one of my four brothers still with us. He misses the three that are gone like I would miss Gay if she were not here. The four of them were inseparable. They talked every day. I know he has days when he  wishes he could call on of them.

When he is no longer here to  tell his tales, he will have left them in the good hands of his  son, Gabe. So generations to come will hear the family stories even if they aren't written down.



8 comments:

  1. So nice to learn more about your family. And it does sound like it was a wonderful trip, lots of family memories made during this time, too. Thanks for sharing your family with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EC and Djan, for your comments. At times I feel rather isolated up here in the mountains with most of my family far south of me, so it was a real treat to meet them even thought it was only for dinner.
    We do laugh so much when we get together. Those pictures were taken after the concert. I kept trying to get a good picture of everyone, but in each photo Max looked like ghoul. I could not figure what was going on but finally I moved them out from under the overhead light which cast awful shadows on Max. When I showed Gay the terrible pictures I was making she convulsed in hard laughter and then I began to laugh and we could not stop. Poor Max did not know what we found so funny because I didn't want to show him the horrible pictures of him.Laughter is the BEST medicine and I miss it. Barry made me laugh every day. He was not one to be depressed or in a bad mood. Now Lexie, my dog, makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Pa has always been a great story teller. It didn't take long for Gabe to follow in his footsteps. He can be quite engaging. I just love my Council family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, it sounds like you had a fun time. Your brother and nephew seem to be very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. You have always been a great addition to the Council family. I know when you all get together you laugh and sing and enjoy each other. That is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abbie,
    I can't seem to leave a comment on your blog lately. I read your posts, but often my comments don't publish.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments. Yes, we had a great time with family that night. Funny that sometimes we enjoy family more when we don't see them too often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glenda, I can't imagine why you're having difficuly commenting on my blog, and I'm sorry. Please keep trying. It may have been just a glitch.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.