Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My Labor Day weekend - fun and exhausting at the same time

I hope my faithful readers had a terrific Labor Day weekend. I did. We celebrated my brother-in-law's birthday with friends. I love it when we get together. We have been enjoying each other's company for 37 years. We have some wonderful and some sad memories. But when we get together we laugh like crazy and have such fun. 


Do you have friends or family that you have fun with like that? We try to have our gatherings each time one of us has a birthday. That insures we don't let other things get in the way of seeing each other since we all live in different places. 

On Friday of last week, I became foster mom for a couple of small squirrels whose nest had been blown down on my deck. Their eyes were not open and they were squirming around cold and wet. So I brought them inside not knowing one thing about caring for the little creatures.

My first instinct was to get them dry and warm. I put them in a shoebox with shredded paper from my shredder. Then I found a cotton glove and filled it with dried beans. Tied it off and heated it in the microwave for minute. I made sure it was not too hot before I placed in in the box with the babies. They loved it! 
See this picture shows how they loved it. 

See them cling to the warm "bean bag" I made for them.

I felt they needed nourishment so I went online and googled how to care for baby squirrels. I found all I needed to know. I put a tsp. of salt and three tablespoons of sugar into a quart of warm water. I found a 2 cc syringe in the house and began to give them a little bit of the water from the syringe. They loved it. I could tell they were dehydrated because I pinched a little of the skin on their backs and, like with humans, the skin did not quickly fall back and flat. According to the directions online, the most important thing to do at this time was keep them warm and give them the water about every 2 hours. 

I did a good job with them until I went to sleep around midnight. I set my clock to wake me up every two hours, but I woke up before the clock alarmed. All night long I fed the little sweethearts even though they did not appreciate my waking them. I wiped them down with a warm cloth each time. That was to wake them up as their mother would do, and to stimulate them to urinate and defecate. It worked! I reheated the bean bag glove each time as well. 

The warm wet cloth was similar to the mother squirrel's licking them, it said in my directions. By morning I was exhausted. I can't function without sleep. 

Gratefully, I handed them over to a writing student of mine, Kathy Knapp, who has raised a wild squirrel and loves animals. Before the day was done, Kathy and her husband found a man who would rehab them and one day let them go to the wild. My friend, Sarah, wanted to keep them and raise them, but her husband nixed that idea. She even went out and bought formula and a tiny feeding bottle. I didn't know there was formula available for baby squirrels, but it seems the same formula given to tiny kittens can be used for the squirrels.

Needless to say, I was still tired when my house guests arrived on Sunday afternoon, but rallied quickly and we had a grand old time on Monday. 

I hope no more squirrels build nests in trees over my house. I saw a new bird nest today in a rhododendron bush and I told my sister, I will not look at that nest or the area under and around it because I don't want to see any little birds on the ground or needing help. 

This week I hold my last writing class for the summer here in my studio. On Saturday we host the last guest instructor for this year. My work then will center on the tribute NCWN and NCWN West will hold in honor of Kathryn Stripling Byer on October 1. I hope everyone will come to the Jackson County Library in Sylva, NC for that event. She deserves all of the praise and attributes for her outstanding life of writing and working with writers. 

Have a good week and I'll see you next time.


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on saving the squirrels, even at the cost of not nearly enough sleep. Glad that they will be released into the wild again in the fullness of time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saved those tiny little lives, you know. Even if someone else is taking over the task, they needed you when you took them in. Warms the cockles of my heart just to think of those little guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean when you say "fun but exhausting." The weekend before last, I traveled with my uncle and aunt from my home in Sheridan, Wyoming, to Colorado Springs to celebrate another uncle's 75th birthday. We made the eight-hour drive on Saturday, had the party Sunday, and came back Monday. Although I wasn't up all night with a baby squirrel, by the time I got home Monday, I was ready for a vacation from my vacaN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone said to me, you know Darwin would just let nature take its course. But I say, Darwin didn't see those helpless little things fighting so hard to live. I could not leave them out for the stray cats to kill. One day maybe these little guys will be stealing bird seed from someone's feeder or eating apples off someone's tree as I read about on a blog today. After the horrible accident I saw last week, I don't want to think of death for any living thing.
    Thanks EC and Djan for leaving your comments.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.