Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

I am in love with the Irish

Watching Celtic Thunder perform Legacy, an album of their most familiar and best songs on Georgia Public Broadcasting this afternoon, is better than being in a concert hall for me. On TV I can see each young man's face up close, and I can't do that even in the Fox Theater in Atlanta. I have been a big fan of this group since they first appeared on public television 8 years ago. Their personnel has changed some over time and we lost the wonderful George  Donaldson who died unexpectedly a while back.

Now without George and without the fantastic tenor, Paul Byrom, I wondered if I would enjoy them in the same way. But I love their Irish music and their great harmony. I also enjoy the fabulous band that accompanies them.

Their audiences range from young kids to elderly people. The performers are personable and I love the accents. I have become a huge fan of Celtic music, Irish and Scottish movies and TV shows. I am so appreciative of Public TV and Public Radio for giving us something clean and beautiful to watch and to listen to in our cars.

In 2014, I went with Gay and Stu, my sister and brother-in-law, to see Paul Byrom at Kennesaw College in Atlanta area. I told him that I really miss him since he left Celtic Thunder and he said, "You don't have to miss me. You can come to see me in concert and you can listen to my solo albums." And I do. His concert was in a small venue and he interacted nicely with his audience, but I still miss him when I see the group perform.

Irish Tenor, Paul Byrom and me in 2014

2 comments:

  1. I love Celtic music, too. Thanks for the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know about Celtic Thunder, DJan? They are such fun to watch and I love the songs they sing.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.