Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Old-fashioned Writer, Deanna Klingel


Deanna K Klingel
My friend and fellow Netwest member, Deanna KIingel who lives in the beautiful mountains of western NC, began her serious writing career after she and her husband retired. She is impressive as a writer and finds publishers who love her books.

In her novels for kids and young adults, even if the main character is a child, the books appeal to adults like me. Cracks in the Ice is a terrific story centered on a young girl who has her sights set on becoming a gold winning ice skater. But this girl's family is not the traditional family we know. She is from a Mafia type of family that controls and watches over her. The book is well researched, as are all of Deanna's books, and I enjoyed learning about the world of ice skating and the world of mobsters. 

Deanna's books about Avery, a boy who lived during the War Between the States or the United States Civil War, appeal to youngsters, and are the kinds of books parents want their children reading. The reader learns history and much more when he/she enters Avery's world. 

Deanna writes a mini-blog.  I highly recommend other writers read this blog to learn from Deanna's experience as an author and to those who want to learn more about her books. 

Her most recent posts explain her writing process and the changing world of publishing and marketing today. She is not one to self-publish e-books to get them out quickly to the public.
She calls herself an old-fashioned writer because it might take years before one of her books comes out. She  works through agents and publishers and she makes sure her manuscripts are polished to perfection.

Deanna's books should be in all libraries and in the schools. Parents don't have to worry about their child reading a Deanna Klingel book. She will not use offensive language. She likes her books to impart a lesson to the reader without being preachy.

Visit Deanna online and read one of her books. If you have young people in your family, Deanna's books made great gifts. 



1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of a book I read in high school called Ice Castles, about a sixteen-year-old girl who makes it as an ice skater and then has an accident that leaves her blind.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.