Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Goodbye Tiger

We know when we bring home a cat or a dog that we have made a commitment to do our best to care for this pet that depends on us. For over forty years our house has been home to dogs and cats. Today, my last pet was put down by my sweet and caring  veterinarian. Tiger was so sick she could not be brought back after staying at the  clinic for three days on IV and antibiotics. It was time. But I am sad.


Tiger came  home with  me from South Georgia when my sister, June and her husband, Charlie, moved to Atlanta. They could not have a  pet in the retirement community. Tiger was not their cat, anyway. She came out of the woods and made a friend in Charlie. Charlie likes cats and she knew it. She jumped up in his lap and purred her love. But after a few weeks, Charlie and most of their  belongings were picked up by movers and I was left there to lock up after everyone was gone. When I opened the back door and this cute little cat came right in, I knew I would have to take her back to North Carolina.

She and  Rocky, our rescued dog, never had a cross word. She could take his bed if she wanted, and he never growled or fussed. In their later years, he licked her from head to tail almost every day and she stretched  out  on the floor enjoying  all the attention. 
Barry loved her from the day she came to us. He was more of a cat person than I, but no one could  help loving Tiger. She was a people cat. If you  came  to my house, Tiger would soon be in your lap purring. She tried to do that with my brother, but he flew out of his chair and tossed her across the room. He is not a cat person.

I will miss the way she chased the little red laser light up the wall and under the table. She never missed seeing a squirrel at the window and would charge to the top of the coffee table and almost go through the pane. She had a bob tail and walked down the hall like a prissy little girl. Her lovely eyes were large and round. Someone had clipped the tip of one ear, probably to let it be known she was neutered. 

I will miss  her scratching at my door in the morning so she could come in and get on the bed with me. If she had been here today, she would be on the bed because that is where I've been all day. I am under the weather and resting as the doctor prescribed. Feeling blue already because of my health, the news that Tiger had to be put down was a large blow. But I know it was the best thing to  do. I didn't want her to suffer any longer. She will be the last pet I will have,  and she will live forever in my memory with Rocky, Kodi, Nicki, Mama Cat, Queenie and my horse, Pretty Thing. 

7 comments:

  1. How very sad, Glenda. I know how you feel about pets, and why it's really hard to lose them. I hope you will be feeling better soon yourself. Sending you lots of virtual hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Tiger. Hope you feel better soon. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better and better each day, big sister. I'm sorry you are so sick, and so sorry about Tiger. You forgot to mention the pet that started with you, Brandy. It's always hard to lose our pets, so I know you will miss Tiger so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Abbie and Djan for your kind words and condolences for Tiger. This has been an unusual weekend for me. I watched two movies on Saturday and listened to Pat Conroy's South of Broad, sixteen CDs. This bronchitis has me lethargic and sleepy during the day, but finding it difficult to sleep at night. I feel sure I'll be better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gay, I did. I left out my beloved Brandy, the first dog I had. Thanks for your good wishes. I am feeling better each day. I went to the grocery store today. You know I had to be better to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about Tiger. She had a good life with you. Feel better, my friend. Lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ellen. You are a cat person and you know how they get under your skin. I am feeling a little better tonight, thank goodness. I was beginning to think I was never going to feel well again.
    Thanks for the hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.