Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Back to Poetry Group

After five years, I finally went back to my poetry critique group tonight. I am so glad I did. We had a great group, small but all of them excellent published poets, and my poem was well discussed. 


Janice Moore, poet, has facilitated that group for many years. She teaches English at Young Harris College and although she retired this year, she is still on staff as an adjunct professor. Having her as our leader is a bonus because she is knowledgeable about all things literary. 

I believe that any serious writer should be a part of a well-run critique group with people the writer respects. Most writers or poets who publish books will list their writing group on their acknowledgements page. I know I did. Janice Moore was one of them. She also wrote a blurb for my poetry book, Now Might as Well be Then. I was honored.  

We will have some excellent writers and poets at the Netwest Writers Conference in Sylva, NC on May 10. Conferences are great to meet new writers, make friends with like-minded people, and take classes with top writers. We will have Judy Goldman, Susan Snowden, Kathryn Byer, Nancy Simpson, Gary Carden, Newt Smith and William Elliott at this conference. Any one of their sessions will be well worth the small charge for attendance. 

In the coming weeks I plan to get back to my own writing and get that poetry book published that I have on hold. Time is flying by and I have so much I want to do. Tonight's energy-filled meeting has me pumped up and feeling creative. 

What makes you feel creative? 

3 comments:

  1. I feel similarly about photography. I've been thinking of taking a class, but I am inspired by pictures that make me think, or admire them, and I want to get better at taking my own pictures. Good luck on getting that poetry book done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda, I'm so glad you're returning to your poetry critique group. I've enjoyed being a part of my third Thursday poets' group for years. They make me creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Abbie. You are so right. My writing groups and workshops always make me more creative.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.