Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

What jobs in the future pay $100,000 or more ?

Would making 100 thousand dollars a year or more take care of your needs?
While reading online today I saw an article on the ten best high paying jobs of the future. These jobs are growing at a high rate, faster than average, and they all pay over 100,000 dollars a year. 
These jobs require a college degree or training equal to a BA degree with experience. 

Pharmacy is a great occupation. It seems a pharmacist can always get a job wherever he wants to live and can work in a hospital or a retail drug store. The need for pharmacists is growing faster than average.

According to this list, dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons and anyone in that field is very much in demand, and they make over 100,000 dollars a year. At the rate they charge me, I’d think they make a far higher income. 

Although it does not hold the glamour of a surgeon’s title, a podiatrist makes a good living and is not called in the middle of the night for emergencies. My podiatrist, who drives a fancy sports car, has saved lives by recognizing medical problems in his patients, and he makes my life so much better by taking good care of my diabetic feet. 

What disturbs me about this list of jobs that make one hundred thousand dollars or better each year is that teaching our nation’s children is not listed. Somewhere in this culture you would think that a person who is responsible for the education of future generations who will make major decisions about the world, would be valued much more than they are. 

A friend of mine who was a star teacher and then became an administrator is about burned out. She is so dismayed that the state of Georgia is actually paying teachers less than they did a few years ago. She, as well as many other good teachers, are taking early retirement and looking for other ways to make a living. Why not find a job where you feel you are at least appreciated?

I taught public school and taught in a private school as well. I taught ten-year-olds and I taught four and five year old children. I know that to be a good teacher one must have a calling and love of teaching, but our politicians have taken advantage of that fact. They believe that those who love teaching will work for next to nothing. So they pay them as little as possible. 

Today, as when I taught many years ago, teachers go out before the school year begins, and spend their own money on supplies for their classrooms. They know what they need to make learning easier for their students and teachers purchase what they need. If a teacher is that generous and concerned about the kids, can’t our politicians be generous as well?

I’d love to see some monetary motivation that would encourage good people, hard-working people who love to make a difference, go to college and get their teaching degrees. And then I’d love to see the administrations of the school systems listen to the teachers and make teaching children the highest priority. We need the cream of the crop in the classrooms of our public schools, being creative and encouraging young people to learn and stay in school. But we first have to vote for leaders in state government and in Washington who have these same values. 

Did you have special teachers who made a difference in your life? Tell us about them.

1 comment:

  1. Our technical college is on strike right now, trying to get a better salary for the staff. It does seem like those important positions should be paid much better. I will never forget an English teacher who passed on the love of literature. I can see her now, in my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.