Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Something for my Gratitude Journal

Tonight I am grateful and must show my appreciation for a man who has worked all week around my house.  
This week the rain held off for a few days. My friend and handyman, John, had time to come and take care of all the things on my “to do” list. I told him he is worth his weight in gold. I can’t pay him what he is worth, however, but I know his bill will be reasonable. Since my husband passed away in 2009, John has been the person I turn to for help when I can’t do it myself. He is good at so many things, but I appreciate that he will clean my deck from top to bottom and take the time to find a non-toxic cleaner that won’t trigger my asthma.
He took my blower that I was about to toss because it won’t work anymore and tested it to find that only my battery needs replacing. Spiders had wrapped my house in their sparkling webs and had taken up residence in every crack or cranny. Tonight no spiders hide under the tall eaves of my deck. My outside lights come on now when anything moves in my yard. Thanks to John. My grill is cleaned from top to bottom and he gave me good advice for the future. Barry was the one who used the gas grill, but I plan to make use of it now.
One afternoon recently I stuck my hand into a wasp nest that was hidden under the railing of my steps. I called John who came, found the spray in the garage and took care of the wasps. Today he discovered a huge nest under the table on my upper deck. I am surprised I haven’t been stung, and thankful John wasn't stung. Besides his willingness to help me with such chores, John always has a smile on his face.


This is not what John does to make a living. He has a construction business. He laid the floors in my house and they are done beautifully. He added a room off my kitchen so I could move my washing machine and dryer upstairs when the stairs became too much of a chore for me. He is one of the most talented people I know. I can count on him when I have a problem. If he can’t fix it, he knows who to call. I love that John never says, “it can’t be done.” When I wanted a shower in my basement bathroom everyone I talked to said it couldn't be done. But when I talked to John he told me how it could be done, and now I have a shower in my downstairs bathroom.
I won’t give his name in this post because I haven’t asked his permission, but if anyone in the Hayesville NC area needs a hardworking man who can do almost anything, call me and I’ll put you in touch with John. 

3 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have such a friend. Let's hope he can continue to do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one lucky woman. We live in OH unfortunately. My husband is ill and cannot do all the things he used to do. I'm doing it all. Now I'm getting afraid to climb for fear of falling. I'll have to find someone willing to change a light bulb and as you said, clean the deck and porches. I can still manage those but just will not climb. A friend just broke both her arms this week falling off a stool in her kitchen- has to have surgery on both arms. Wow. Nope, I shall not climb anymore.
    Take care of you and enjoy John's company and work. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbie, I am lucky to have people I can call on to help me now that Barry is gone.
    Of course, nothing is free, so I miss having family near that might volunteer to help with things at no charge. But, my brother pays his sons and grandsons for everything they do for him, I think, so even if I did have family close by,I'd probably be expected to pay.
    Thankfully, John does little things like the wasps without asking for money, and my dear neighbors are always doing little things for me.
    I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.