Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, December 17, 2012

My Tribute to My Sister

Friday, December 14, we celebrated my sister June with a lovely service at St. David's Episcopal Church in Roswell, GA. June was fifteen years old when I was born. As in my older brother's funeral service, my words about what June had meant to me were used by the Rector.
I was surprised both times that my letters were considered worthy to use as a tribute. I had written an email about June's passing to friends and copied it to Gay and Stu, sister and brother-in-law, who  shared it with those presenting the service.

I'll share it with you.


Our family will never be the same. She was my second mother when I was small and my dear friend and sister as an adult. She bought me my first book, my first record, the Nutcracker Suite, and took me to my first movie.
She was Santa Claus to Gay and me, paying for gifts at Christmas that my parents couldn't afford. She rocked me to sleep when I was a baby and taught me to say my prayers. She read to Gay and me each night and I'll never forget, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, one night set off in a wooden shoe...
June was a person loved by all who knew her. Even the staff in the hospitals and assisted care places, fell under her spell which she cast with a beautiful smile and genuine interest in others. She was the person I wanted to grow up to be. She always told me she was proud of me, and her expectations made me a better person.

If you have a sister or had a sister, you might understand how deeply I feel this loss. I appreciate the caring, meaningful cards I've received.
Tell us about your sister.

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, Glenda. I am so sorry that you have suffered another tremendous loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what does not kill us makes us strong, Paula. I've heard that said before and I hope it is true.
    thanks for stopping in and for your condolences.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.