Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15, deadline for this poetry contest

Hurry, if you write poetry and want an opportunity to have your poem be one of twenty published in the 2013 Poet's Market published by Writer's Digest.

Robert Brewer says on his blog, "I will consider poetry submissions for the 2013 Poet’s Market. 20 previously unpublished poems will be selected for publication in the book, and the poets will receive a paycheck for their poems."
The following is from Robert's blog:

The submission guidelines are below. Failure to follow the guidelines may result in your poetry not being considered for publication.
  • Submit up to 3 poems.
  • Submit only once. Double submissions (even to correct mistakes in earlier submissions) will be deleted unread.
  • Submit previously unpublished poems. For me, poems posted on a personal blog or critique forum do not count as previously published. However, if you have any questions, direct them to me.
  • Simultaneous submissions okay. However, please contact me immediately if your poem(s) is accepted elsewhere.
  • Submit between June 1, 2011, and August 15, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. (Atlanta GA time). Anything submitted after the deadline will be deleted unread.
  • Poems should be typed or copied into the body of the e-mail. I will not click on links or open attachments. However, if you’re a visual poet who can’t get the formatting to work in the body of the e-mail, contact me in those unique circumstances.
  • Include your name, contact information, and a short bio AFTER your poems.
  • Send your submissions to robert.brewer@fwmedia.com with the following subject line: My 2013 Poetry Submission
I probably won’t begin reviewing the poems until the August 15 deadline has passed. But after it has, this is what poets can expect:
  • I will make every attempt to select 20 poems for the 2013 Poet’s Market by December 15, 2011.
  • After I have received confirmation from all 20 poets, I will make an announcement on this blog. I may also send around an e-mail blast, but I don’t want to promise anything.
  • Those 20 poets will receive a publishing contract for their poem to be published in the 2013 Poet’s Market. The contract will include publication, $50 payment, and a contributor copy of the 2013 Poet’s Market.
  • The 20 poets may also be given the opportunity to record their poems and talk about their poems, though that’s still kind of in the air.
  • The 2013 Poet’s Market will be released in autumn of 2012.
If I need to make any revisions (after poets start asking questions), I’ll indicate that I’ve done so at the top of the post. I’ll also try answer questions in the Comments as well.
Happy poeming and submitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.