Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A long day for me, but lots of fun and fellowship

Wednesday was our first day for Coffee with the Poets, and Writers at Cafe Touche in Hayesville.  Mary Ricketson was our featured reader, and was surprised when she learned in my introduction of her that she had  won the gold medal for her poem, Leatherwood Falls, entered in the Senior Arts-Senior Games. She will go on to the state finals in Raleigh. Thanks to Peg Russell who gave me Mary's good news.
The poems entered are blind judged,  which means the judge reads the poems but has no idea who wrote them.  I was honored to have been the judge for the contest this year.  I had no idea that Leatherwood Falls was written by Mary Ricketson, but I knew when I read it,  it was a winner. The other poems submitted were very good as well.


I just read Jayne Jaudon Ferrer's blog post for today. If you had your choice of people living or dead, who would you invite to a backyard party at your house?Read Jayne's choices.
http://commagoddess.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-potato-salad-yall.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.