Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

. . . Writing from my mountain . . .: Is the Novelist Work Not Valued, or Under Valued?

. . . Writing from my mountain . . .: Is the Novelist Work Not Valued, or Under Valued?: "it's not magic . . . How much do you pay for a haircut? Let’s say your stylist cuts your hair in about 30ish minutes, and you return to h..."

Kathryn Magendie said it so well in the post above. Why is the writer's work not valued? Do we devalue our own writing  and therefore let others devalue what we do?
I am amazed when I hear others say that writers should not be paid for teaching or helping other writers. Why should we not charge for our time and our service. We have studied the art for many years. We share what we have learned with others and hope to save them many of the mistakes we made. But out time and talents are not trivial and we should not have to feel that we must give it away.
As we begin our second season at Writers Circle where we hold classes by excellent instructors at reasonable costs, we should never feel guilty for charging a fee.
I recommend Kathryn's post. Click on her link above and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.