Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Karen Holmes, poet and teacher


If you want to have a good time with a wonderful person and teacher, come to John Campbell Folk School January 30 to take this class with my friend and fellow poet, Karen Holmes. Below is her class description and if you live nearby, you will be able to get into this class for half the tuition price. Don't miss it.The class is an all-genre writing class and here are the details:

January 30- Feb 5, John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC "Sing and Paint with Words"

This is a writing class for poets and prose writers where we will look to the other arts for ideas and inspiration. In other words, we'll "call all muses" to help us write. We'll listen to music, look at art and share great lines of authors and poets. We'll have plenty of class time to write and prompts to get us started. You might decide, for example, to write about what you hear in a piece of music or how it made you feel.


You might even decide to create a character in a short story or poem who plays the violin or paints like Monet. Or you might simply get a burst of creativity to finish a project or start a new one. The week will include tips on editing to make your work the best it can be and one-on-one coaching sessions. (Karen is a terrific editor. GB)

What a great way to kick start your New Year's writing resolution. For more information and to register, call the Folk School today 1-800-FOLK-SCH or visit http://www.folkschool.org/


The class is wide open, so a "local resident" 50% discount on tuition ($276) will apply if you live in one of the qualifying "local" counties.

(Clay, Cherokee, Towns, Union, Fannin in NC and GA)
Karen also hosts Writers Night Out in Hiawassee, GA on the second Friday evening of each month.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for that terrific post, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda,
    Thanks for posting this about Karen's class at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I'm sure it will be a wonderful class.
    I'm looking forward to your class at YHC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda Kay,
    I appreciate your stopping in and also for signing up for my class at ICL. I look forward to seeing you there.
    I still don't have your new book, but I will get one at P & L next Wednesday when we go for Coffee with the Poets at 1:00 p.m. this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a terrific class, Glenda. Sadly, we are still trying to accomplish the move to your area. We do seem to be getting closer!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.