Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Day of Tragedy, a Weekend of Snow

The news of this day has been the tragedy in Arizona - killing of innocent people, children and elderly, as well as the Congresswoman and the judge, for no reason at all.
How do we bring up children in this country to hate so vehemently? What has brought on the mass killings we have had in recent years? Is it the hatred spewed out on the airwaves by the media that skew those with twisted minds to take out their anger and frustration on anyone who makes a good target?
No one takes responsibility for their words anymore. Words can kill. We have seen it.

My heart aches for the family of the nine- year- old child who was killed today.
How innocent she was, brought to the event by a neighbor who thought it would be fun for the child who had been voted into a leadership position in her school.

Arizona is far away from where I am tonight. I can't shake these events from my mind even as I wonder what will happen locally in the next few days.
The temperature is 13 degrees here in the mountains of NC. The prediction of a devastating winter storm coming has me hoarding water, worrying about the power failing if ice forms on the lines or limbs of trees.

Below is a poem I wrote a few years ago. It expresses my mood tonight.

The Long Winter


Patches of snow highlight the woods.
The deck wears a blanket of sleet.
Ice grips small limbs of bare trees,
gleams on mountain peaks like precious gems.

I'm feeling fragile at the moment.
The death of my brother,
a bout of the flu,
have left me teetering on the brink.

I'd like to wrap up in a warm cocoon
and ride out the winter.
In spring I'll burst forth
and test my wings.
          ---- Glenda C. Beall

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.