Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

In The Dark

I lie here in bed, my cheek against your shoulder,
remembering a night, long ago, on your boat.
I was afraid. I felt too much, too fast.
But you were tender, and love crept over us
like silver fog, silent on the lake.

We were never again the same.
We stepped like children through that door that led
to long passages unknown, holding hands, wide-eyed, but brave.

Here I am years later, listening to your soft breath
and feeling your warm smooth skin.
In the dark, now might as well be then.


From Now Might As Well Be Then (Finishing Line Press, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.