Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

THE TIME IS NOW! DO IT!

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today. Dale Carnegie

Have you known people who were always going to write a book, or always going to take that trip to Europe? Some of us spend so much time planning what we are going to do someday that we never seem to get it done.
I've heard the term "writer wannabe" spoken of people like me. I have that book in my mind, but can't get focused on the actual theme and how I will tell my story.
Do I zone in on the depressed child no one understood?
Should I disclose my anger and feelings about a father I thought didn't know I existed or that I sometimes wanted to disappear? Or begin with the misconceptions I had about my father, and go on to describe my journey down a winding road that ended in the mountains of NC. A place where I discovered something inside myself, something that made all the pieces of my life's puzzle fit on the page.

Shelley Lieber offers a four week teleseminar I'm very tempted to take. Perhaps she can help me find my focus and get me started writing the book. For years I've postponed, procrastinated, made excuses and overscheduled my life so that I just couldn't get this book written. My most recent excuse has been "I'm too old to publish this book," and "my time is better spent taking care of my beloved who needs me."

I will shortly be turning over the leadership of NCWN West to the capable hands of Kathryn Stripling Byer. I have found a wonderful young woman who helps me with much that has taken up my time in the past. Joan Cannon who is 80 has written and published two novels in recent years.
I have no more excuses.
If I can get all my ducks in a row, I hope to have a poetry chapbook published this year. That has encouraged me. Maybe it is not too late.
By George, I think it is time I got on with it.

3 comments:

  1. No more excuses-just do it!! The best reason for doing it-you are a wonderful writer and the world should get to enjoy your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda:
    I appreciate very much the excellent job you've done as our coordinator of Netwest. You've worked very, very hard and all of us are thankful for your dedication and hard work. I'm also proud that your poetry book will be published by Finishing Line Press. I look forward to getting a copy of it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tipper and Brenda.
    I appreciate your support and encouragement. Barry and I talked about our short term and long term goals today. Having my poetry book published is a goal I set for this year. Now it will happen.
    Brenda, you have been a wonderful supporter of of me as PC for Netwest. That means so much. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.