Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Maggie Bishop, author of mystery and romance novels


I was impressed with author Maggie Bishop at the Blue Ridge Writers conference last week.

Website http://maggiebishop1.tripod.com/

Blog http://damesofdialogue.wordpress.com/

Speaker http://authorasguestspeaker.110mb.com/ Mystery and romance in Maggie's Appalachian Adventure series of novels

Honored in 2007 as one of "100 Incredible ECU Women"

Maggie Bishop, romance and mystery writer gives this advice.
What advice would you offer other writers? Read and write. Ask yourself, if your writing world were perfect, when would you write? How many days a week?


Then arrange your schedule to be as close to that as possible and write. Log the hours written onto a calendar in a prominent place. After two months of writing those four or five days a week, give yourself an award. A massage would be good. When writing the first draft, turn off the internal editor. Give yourself permission not to judge.

Good advice. I am trying to follow this plan. I will write two hours a day for four days a week.

My reward will be a day trip to Asheville.

I bought one of Maggie's books and she has promised a free critique if I send my work within the next thirty days. If you get an opportunity to take a workshop with her, I believe you will gain much information that is helpful to your writing.

1 comment:

  1. Glenda, Thank you so much for your comments about my workshop. Besides writing, my passion is to help other write. I hope I didn't work you too hard during the work session.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.