Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Coffee with the Poets


Many thanks
to
Kathryn Stripling Byer, poet Laureate of North Carolina for speaking and reading her poetry at Coffee with the Poets in Hayesville, NC recently. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable in Crumpets Dessertery at Phillips and Lloyd Book Store in the historic little mountain town.

Kathryn, who grew up just a short drive from my home in southwest Georgia, answered questions, and then said she wanted to hear from the local poets who had brought poems to read at open mic.

Mary Mike Keller hosted the session and gave each person a chance to share a poem with the Poet Laureate of North Carolina. Elizabeth Rybicki, owner of Phillips and Lloyd Books, served a delicious cake and candies all in Valentine's Day colors.
As the Clay County Representative for NCWN West, I organized this monthly event a couple of years ago, before I became the NCWN West program Coordinator. From the beginning poetry lovers throughout the community put the time and date of CWP on their calendars, and came to enjoy reading or listening to others read poetry.
We plan to gather again March 11, second Wednesday, at 10:30 AM to listen to outstanding poetry by Nancy Simpson and Janice Townley Moore. The theme of the day will be birds and we are asked to bring "bird" poems that day. If you are in the area, be sure to drop by.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.