Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ray Hunter's Dim Trails

Passing down our stories to future generations is one of my passions. I enjoy hearing the stories of my students in my Writing About Your Life classes at Tri-County College or JCCFS, and I am pleased when I have some part in helping get these stories written down to help preserve the history of individuals who don't make the history books, but who have an impact on the world we live in.

Recently I was given a book ,Dim Trails , written by Ray Hunter who has earned his living from the age of six or seven by working on ranches in South Dakota.

He is 80 years old and has written a book of stories about his life and the lives of cowboys who lived the real cowboy way. His stories are written the way he talks, I'm sure, although I've never met him. I knew his brother --better than Ray did since they were both farmed out to different families when they were children because their widowed mother could not keep them.

I admire Ray Hunter for leaving this legacy to his family and to many others who will enjoy reading the true stories of cowboy life in the early twentieth century. I especially enjoyed his tale of someone from Hollywood who wanted to film an actual stampede. Although the cowboys tried to let him direct the stampede, the animals would not cooperate and the film maker ended up losing his camera and running for his life.

This link is to a newspaper article about Ray Hunter and his book.
http://www.tsln.com/article/2008565101030

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.