Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

A fantastic southern humorist helped me get through 2020.

Writing Life Stories is the name of this blog. That is because I enjoy writing true stories about events in my life and about people in my life, present and those who have gone on. 

This past week, a wonderful southern humorist, Jeanne Robertson, died just two months after her husband passed away. She was in her seventies but still going on speaking tours. In fact, she had a full schedule planned for the coming months. One of them was in my hometown Albany, GA. I don't live there now and would not have seen her in person, but I feel I know this woman who was Miss North Carolina. She was six feet two inches tall, the tallest person to ever enter the Miss America Contest. She was nineteen when she was voted Miss Congeniality in 1963. 

During the past year, like millions of others, I discovered Jeanne on YouTube, and thanks to her I have laughed more than I have in years. She is southern and talks with a southern accent, an accent I have heard all my life from educated people. She went to school at Auburn University in Alabama, but she and her husband Jerry were supporters of Elon University in North Carolina. 

I have grieved over the loss of this delightful woman who packed auditoriums with her clean humor. She never used profanity or filthy language. To me, that shows her talent. I once heard Chris Rock say that when he felt his audience not responding to his comedy, all he had to do was curse and everyone laughed. I don't enjoy most of the comics today because they rely on gimmicks and mean-spirited jokes to get laughs. Jeanne Robertson did not do that.

I grew up in a family of storytellers. My father was great and Uncle Jimmy was outstanding. Like Bill Cosby and others of his era, Jeanne used facial expressions, body language, and pure energy to connect with her wide audience. She didn't throw out four-letter words or shock people with her behavior. She took simple actions or words from people she met and people in her family to form stories that I relate to and see in my mind. I laugh out loud. I have found that I can go to bed at night and put on her YouTube videos and watch one after the other, even those I have seen already, and forget the troubles of the day.

Jeanne said her goal was to find humor in everyday things and she encouraged those of us who watched her to look for the funny stories or funny things that happened in our own lives. She said she was not a comic, but a humourist. She was a speaker. She didn't perform in Comedy Clubs. She was paid to speak at conventions and large meetings all over this country. She was an attractive woman even as she aged and her health began to fail. In 2020, she had to stop touring because of COVID and began a show from her back porch. In those shows, her fans interacted and some of the characters in her stories were guests. 

Gay and Stu and I are huge fans of Jeanne Robertson and I am so happy that her stories will continue to be with us online. I plan to purchase one of her CDs or an audiobook. 

You can find her here and on YouTube. I know you will like her and laugh at her funny stories.

10 comments:

  1. Miss/Ms Congeniality strikes me as MUCH more valuable than a beauty contest. It seems that Jeanne Robertson was able to combine the two - throughout her entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad that she is gone, but thank you for the links to her, I'll check them out. It's always a good thing to laugh, especially these days. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen some of her videos. She is hilarious. What a legacy she leaves with her humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, EC, Djan and Marie, for your comments. Once you watch her videos, you begin to remember some of her lines. We do that and laugh again. I almost feel I have lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne Robertson sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this posting about Jeanne. I'm sorry she passed away, but her work will live on and bring humor to a lot of people. I'm glad you were able to view her stories during this difficult time. I will watch her video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda Kay, I hope you enjoy Jeanne Robertson as much as I do. We all need to laugh more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abbie, thanks for your comment I hope you watch Jeanne and enjoy her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for giving a link to Jeanne Robertson. I did not know of her but will listen to her. I like a good laugh and love real southern accent. I don’t like my French accent and tried to get a Georgia accent but I can’t do it. People still ask me where I am from, and when I say Georgia, they think I am talking about the country near Russia! In these disunited States and with the virus, it’s not easy to find an outlet for a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vagabonde, so glad you stopped by. I know I would love your French accent as I like to meet people from other countries and listen to their spoken language. I don't like my southern accent, not because it is southern, but because of the tone of my voice. I can't change it so I hope other people are not annoyed by it. You are so right about the scarcity of a good laugh. That is why Jeanne Robertson has been so good for me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.