Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, July 29, 2021

A Blogger who teaches and writes prose and poetry

http://www.danawildsmith.com/everglades-log.html

The writer, Dana Wildsmith, is a favorite blogger of mine. I have never met Dana in person, but I feel a kinship to her. She lives in Bethlehem, Georgia outside Atlanta, and she lives on a farm, loves dogs and was devoted to her mother. 
She has been to many places writing and working and she writes about her experiences there.
The link above is to a post she wrote while at the Everglades National Park in Florida.

Presently, she is on a writing retreat in north Georgia, and like many of us, she is trying to get motivated to work on her next writing project. If anyone thinks it is easy to sit down and write, even though we love to write, they are mistaken. I think it is especially hard when you write poetry and prose. Changing from one to the other takes time and lots of work. 

I have enjoyed Dana's books of poetry and prose. She teaches a writing workshop each year at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC very near where I live. The writing classes I took at JCCFS from 1995 - 2005 helped me be who I am today. However, it would be almost impossible for me to attend a full weeklong class now. I don't have the stamina I once had. 

Because of the pandemic, they were closed most of last year. Now open again with all CDC guidelines in place, they also offer online courses. Dana is one of the teachers for the online courses.

It is very hot here and almost everywhere in this country, it seems. Climate change is proving to be a concern for all of us. I heard today that Lake Powell out west is falling low because of the drought. What must we do? 

My subscribers to this blog, I hope you are still getting my posts in your Inbox, but if you are not, please let me know. 



4 comments:

  1. I am still getting your posts, through The Old Reader, which I subscribe to. I will have to go check out your friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting your posts in my feed. I am thankful we have that still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, I went to Old Reader but not sure how I can use it. I might need some help from you. I have a smart young woman helping me now and she might be able to get my blogs back to what they were. I do wish they didn't change things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I am glad you still get my posts. I don't know when Google plans to stop it, but I think it will be soon. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.