Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, April 5, 2020

CHANGES ARE COMING - WHAT WILL THEY BE?

We are told that our lives will never be the same. Some are extremely worried about the changes that will come.

Perhaps no more gathering of huge crowds, maybe people won't hug and kiss like they used to, and some say we will no longer shake hands after this virus has shaken us to our core. Will we bow when we meet as the Japanese do?

Some younger folk say the change in our lives will be worse than the virus. Really??

History will show us that our lives in this country change with almost every generation. It is not only the economy that changes, but our manners, our behavior and values change over time. Even our language changes as time goes on.

When I was young, life was far different from what we have today. It was not acceptable for a single woman to birth a baby. Divorce was not nearly so accepted as it is today. At least that was the way I remember it. Today it seems we have more divorces than marriages and in my day, couples did not live together until they married. 

Women had few rights. Only the husband was permitted to have a credit card. The wife could sign on his card, but he was always the primary card holder and her rights were limited. A woman could have her charges refused because she was not the owner of the card.

The way young people dated was far different than today. Instead of going out at 10:00 PM as they do today, we had to be home by 11:00 PM.

I have found that my lifestyle changed immensely as I grew older. Television, telephones and automobiles are all far different than they were when I was in my thirties and forties. But I have accepted these changes for the most part, even though I want to keep my landline, I don't want to be forced to text, to be on Twitter, and I refuse to be controlled by a smart phone glued to my palm.

I don't worry about the changes we will face when this deadly virus is finally under control. I only hope that the changes will make us a kinder and more understanding society. I hope the generosity displayed now will continue. Maybe the compassion for those who are in need will actually grow, and maybe we will not have so much greed among our people who have so much. Might we learn we don't have to have everything we think we want?

Wouldn't it be good if those who are paid millions of dollars would say, "Let's pay our workers more instead of giving me a raise." 

Maybe those in power will say, "We must raise the minimum wage. We must see that all those who work a forty-hour week can feed their families and pay for a roof over their heads without having to work a second or third job."

I hope that nurses and medical workers will be guaranteed better pay and that more of these important people will be trained and hired. I know from personal experience, when someone is sick in the hospital, a kind and caring nurse is the most important person in their world.

Could we possibly fix the broken health care system in the United States? We must do something soon because fewer people are going into the medical profession. This virus might make this profession more undesirable as we see  our first-line workers lacking the protection they need.

We hear from those who want to encourage us, to give us hope even if their words are lies. But the truth comes out. It usually does. The truth is that we don't know what changes lie ahead. No one knows. We do know we will have to accept them and move on, just as we have always done. 

In time this period will be a part of World History and written about in text books; the death toll, the fear and uncertainty. The heroes and the villains will be mentioned, the blame and the praise will be written. 

The coming week is supposed to be a deadly one. I hope the states that are not enforcing stay at home rules will wake up! If it is in Georgia, it can easily spread to South Carolina. Only an ignorant person thinks their area is safe unless they stop person to person contact. 

I will be home this week and weeks to come. I will do without some things because I will not go out to public places. We are told to stay away from grocery stores and pharmacies. 

I wrote in my journal this morning and I listed the things for which I am so, so grateful. I suggest everyone do that. List five things and you will be surprised at how much better you feel.

Be safe. Stay home and stay in touch with your loved ones by email or telephone.
What do you recommend for us as we self-quarantine at our homes?










3 comments:

  1. I am rationing my exposure to the news. Cowardice it may be, but it is also self preservation.
    I am enjoying the simple things. We have a sunny and cool day and unlike the height of our summer our air is fresh and sweet.
    Yes change is coming but I so hope this pandemic is replaced by one of kindness. We are all in this together. I have long hoped for world unity - but this was not the way I expected it to come to pass.
    Stay well, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the world will be like when we come back into society. I too hope for a more kind world. And I have seen so much of it around me, among my friends and family, and when we are all in this together, I hope for a better world afterwards. At my age, I won't see too much of it, but I am grateful to be alive during these days and pray that I can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC and DJan, thank you for your comments. We three are on the same page in our hopes for tomorrow so maybe we have many more who feel the same way. This is a time for reflection and perhaps that makes a difference in the future. I am pleased with the number of people I know who are staying home and doing all they can to stay safe and not hurt others.
    I think it is interesting that those who are doing this are mostly women. Men are more likely to ignore the danger and do as they please. A study was done on this subject but I am not surprised. It seems the men in my own family are worst, the least likely to follow guidelines. I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.