Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Dancing through life

Sunday, Feb. 23, is my sister's birthday. We celebrated her birthday Saturday at lunch with old friends, Richard and Linda.

My sister, Gay, has found the fountain of youth and it is ---DANCING!
Look at her here, looking so young. I have not seen her as happy in many, many years. She is in better health, physically, has more strength and endurance. She has inspired me to move more.

Gay has loved to dance as long as I can remember. She was always the best dancer in our group when she was a teen. In college, she majored in dance and was a member of the University Modern Dance Club. She even took a class with the famous dancer Martha Graham when she spent a summer in Connecticut at a dance camp. She taught dance at one time and was a part of the Albany Ballet before she moved out to California. Few people realize how much she loved to dance. But she gave it up and only the past year did she decide to go back to dancing again.

She was always a better dancer than the men she dated and never quite found one who was as good as she was. So now she dances with professional dancers two or three times each week and is on cloud nine. The people at Alpharetta Arthur Murray love her because she makes every new person who comes in feel welcome and comfortable. The owners have thanked her for this effort. I tell her they should be paying her to come instead of her paying for classes there.

The best thing is her husband encourages her to have fun and enjoy this wonderful life she has discovered in her third act. He has gone to a few classes and parties with her.

She recently asked me, "Glenda, when did I start to dance and how did I learn to dance?" I can't answer that. It seems she was always dancing.

Happy Birthday, Gay! Dance, dance, dance!
With her two beloved pups, Smokie and Sunny. They make her happy, too.



7 comments:

  1. A very happy birthday to someone who seems to have found her joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Gay! I hope you keep on dancing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, DJAN and Elephant Child, for your kind birthday wishes! I am having a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your sister still enjoys dancing. This brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your sister! How wonderful that she started dancing again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbie, thank you for your comment. And dancing brightens my days!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the birthday wishes, Far Side of Fifty. Loving my dancing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.