Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Home for a wedding and visit with family

The holidays are over and I am back home. I had a great time with family at Christmas and down in south Georgia where I attended the wedding of one of my great nephews, Colby, the grandson of my brother, Max. The wedding was held at the First Baptist Church in Camilla, Georgia, the hometown  of Kathryn Stripling Byer, my friend, and the first woman poet laureate of North Carolina. My parents grew up in Pelham, Georgia which is in the same county.

The wedding was touching as the bride and groom had written their vows and spoke them to each other instead of the pastor saying the typical words spoken at most weddings. 

It was fun to see all my nephews dressed so nicely in their formal clothes. I usually see them in jeans or shorts. Saturday, the day of the event, was beautiful, but that evening turned cold. The reception, held at the old Shackleford house, a landmark, in Albany was overflowing with guests and many of the younger ones were outside dancing. Not liking crowds, I went outside in the cold, had someone bring me a chair and enjoyed talking with the handsome men in my family. I truly enjoyed the evening.



I had not been back to my hometown for a while and it is always surprising to see what has changed there. We had a good dinner on Friday night at a new restaurant, The Flint, in old downtown. We all hope this is the beginning of the city rising from the ashes.The owners came over, welcomed us and invited us to tour the large facility. With my hip and knee problems, I stayed in my seat and visited with another nephew's lovely girlfriend. She told me about Terry HoYum Yum sauce made there in Albany. She is CFO of the company. I'm sorry I didn't get some sauce to bring home.

But I did pick up some May Haw Jelly, one of my favorite foods when I was a child. Mother made the jelly every year from the tiny red berries that only grow in that area. I even found some syrup made from sugar cane which I can't get up here in the mountains. When I was a kid, I went with Mother to the cane grindings in our community each fall. We drank cane juice and always came home with lots of cane syrup. But here in the super market, I can only find maple syrup, and many brands made with corn syrup and artificial flavors. The popular syrup made in this area is sorghum syrup, but it is too strong for me.

I will share a few photos I made at the wedding. I am not the greatest photographer, but these are OK.

Groom, Colby Council,  with his lovely bride outdoors at the reception

Gay and Stu, having fun. Gay held my wine and my purse so I could take photo.
 She was very cold all evening, wore her coat, so you didn't see the beautiful dress she wore.

Glenda and Gay, great aunts of the groom

Three of my generation were present. My brother, Max, Gay and me. I missed my brothers and sister who are no longer with us. It was particularly sad when Max came in and walked down the aisle alone because his wife is ill and could not be there with him for their grandson's wedding. 



8 comments:

  1. Some bitter sweet moments there, but the feeling I get (and I hope I am right) is that the sweetness dominated. Which is great - another lovely addition to the riches in your memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks like a fun! Good to get out and see relatives all dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading about your trip and am glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate to have missed everyone back home over the holidays. My kids and now two grand children are in California, couldn't miss my grandson's first Christmas., We technically his second, having been born on December 14th. You

    ReplyDelete
  5. EC, yes, it is always bittersweet to go back now but we had a great reunion with one brother's family. Being family historian all these years, I told the younger ones I wanted their pictures because of my position in the family (historian).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Far Side, It was fun. I'm glad I went and it might be a while before I can go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie, Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your reading my post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clay,
    I'd love to hear about your visit to California and those grandchildren. I know they are precious. It is great that you can fly out there to see them.
    Would love to have you visit sometime. You are not too far from me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.