Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Tis the Season

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL MY READERS, MY FRIENDS NEAR AND FAR.

As we approach Christmas Day, a very special time each year to reflect on our good fortune, our losses, our happy times and our sad ones, we appreciate the reason for the season.

I think of this holiday as a time to renew hope in the world, to believe that we will survive as human beings because we are basically the product of our past, our forefathers and mothers who often struggled to provide the best way of life for themselves and for their world.

We have goodness in us even when we do bad things. When I hear the voices that speak out of fear, I try to turn them off. I believe that we still have strong people who won't give up and give in to the worst of human nature. 

I have seen the best in people recently, when out of kindness and caring, they left their comfort zone to give me aid when I most needed it. I know that people do this all the time, around the world, for no pay or recognition. While we hear the bad news day after day, we also hear of good deeds, good people who just want to help their fellow human being. I wish we heard more of the good than the bad, but sadly, bad news is good business for media today.

The worst part of this time of year is the begging that goes on, asking us  to give to those less fortunate, to give to political parties, to foundations and groups that help others, and the guilt we feel when we can only do so much. I get more requests for donations this time of year than any other time. 

I have a giving budget. Throughout the year, I give to the organizations I feel most passionate about, where I feel the most is needed. At Christmas, I don't receive a bonus or extra money to put into my bank account. December is not a month when I have windfalls that I don't need. As a senior adult with a fairly fixed income and too many bills to pay, I have very little cash to give to others. 

I do what I can all year long, and still keep funds to support myself. I don't want to become one of the people who needs charity. But it is a fact that those who have the least, give the most. Those who have the most and use the most resources, give the least to others. 

**************************************************************


When I see this art work out each Christmas as part of my sister's holiday decorations, I spend time just enjoying it, looking at the detail and seeing the work of love it really is.

My photo is not good, but you can appreciate the artistry of this folk art by my artist sister, Gay Moring. It is a gorgeous piece of work, in three pieces, on wood and the brush strokes are perfectly done. 

I hope you have joy and happiness and peace in your hearts and in your homes this special holiday season. I hope the new year brings you good health, love and less stress in your life. I hope you laugh every day. 

Try to find the humor in the worst of times, and you will come through better and with less pain. Even a trip to the ER can have moments of humor. That's a bit of wisdom from someone who knows.

Read this post on Senior Women for a glimpse of a Christmas that went awry.

http://www.seniorwomen.com/news/index.php/goosed-those-years-when-fate-takes-a-hand

How will you spend your holidays this year?






3 comments:

  1. That was definitely a Christmas which went pear-shaped. It makes for a great story though.
    This year I volunteered to provide support on the crisis line from 6pm till midnight on Christmas Eve. It was oneish before I went to sleep and a most insistent cat got me up well before four.
    Christmas Day has been quiet and low key. A visit to family and most of the day at home. Shortly we will have our cold dinner - which I prepared yesterday.
    I hope your day and the year(s) to come are packed with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a wonderful new year, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, DJan and EC, for your support over the years.
    Christmas is over but the beautiful decorations will be up for a few more weeks. Entering my sister's house this time of year transports me out of the ordinary world and into a world of Christmas with angels, which she collects, and many other lovely works of art as well as lights, greenery and some of the cutest little mechanical Santas that dance to holiday music.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.