Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

For a couple of days I was so woozy I could hardly remember my own name.

I spent Thursday at the hospital undergoing a diagnostic procedure that I thought would be simple and only take about two and a half hours. But I was there from 1:00 until nearly 5:00 PM. The procedure is a very painful one, so they wanted to be sure I was well-sedated. Because I am allergic to the drug they had planned to use, they had to substitute something else. Seems it took much longer for this medicine to knock me out.

Doesn't it seem that medical procedures are always more complicated and more serious than we are told? Perhaps doctors know if we knew the truth, we would not agree to these procedures.

I have no memory of the procedure, but saw the evidence from a faulty IV and some band-aids plus those sticky little things they put on when they hook you up for an EKG. I kept finding them on my back.

My wonderful neighbor and friend drove me to the hospital and stayed there all those hours before bringing me home and preparing dinner for me. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

I was still dopey when I got home and just could not really wake up. I slept for hours but when I was up, I stumbled and staggered like I was inebriated, and could not think properly. I knew it was best to stay seated or in bed. I did not want to fall.

Friday morning was another story.
I had tried to eat a small piece of peanut brittle Thursday night. Bad decision! The sticky candy grabbed my bridge, and pulled it completely out. After finally getting a ride to my dentist's office, I can chew again. I gave away that peanut brittle and hope the receiver has good teeth.

Today, Saturday, I have been back to normal and happy to be able to write, to do some work around the house and have my senses about me. I even managed to disconnect the cable box from my downstairs TV. Tomorrow I will try to reconnect it to one upstairs.

I look forward to Sunday when I hope we get some rain and the weather will feel a little more like fall. I so want this summer to be gone soon.
 Lexie wants to go for a walk, but I can't take the heat. 
I look forward to the red, gold and orange leaves covering the mountains. I long for the brisk mornings and cool evenings on my deck.



Hope you are having a good weekend and that your coming week will bring you joy, contentment, and good health.



4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about this. And yes, I think that often medical practioners are mingy with the story they give us. Truth yes, but NOT the whole truth.
    We too need rain. Badly. I hope that we both get some of its benison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are better and on the other side of that medical procedure. And yes, it's wonderful to have caring friends. We are getting much more rain than usual over here. Wish I could send some your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear all this but glad you're doing better. I hope the diagnostic procedure has favorable results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by EC and DJan. I had a wonderful Sunday just doing what I wanted and what I wanted included watching PBS and all the shows on country music history by Ken Burns. It was great to see and hear all those who created America's music, the unique sounds of several regions of the world melted into what is now our own music.
    I feel fine and just doing laundry and working at the computer today.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.