Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, July 11, 2019

William Everett writes about Leaving Overbrook

Today I read William Everett's blog post titled Leaving Overbrook.  http://williameverett.com/
"Like many people our age we have to leave the home that has centered our lives for many years in order to live in more manageable and accessible circumstances." 

As we grow older, we think of what is next for us. What do we do in this last act of our lives?
Moving is listed as second most stressful, right after the death of a spouse. I have thought of moving this past year, but finally accepted that staying put for now is best for me. At this moment I am having my long flight of steps and my deck repaired and painted. That is my commitment.

Lots of steps up to my living area. 

But William Everett is moving and he writes about it so beautifully, with gratitude for what was and for what is to come. I felt a lump form in my throat as I read his article.


Another friend is selling his house and building a tiny house where he will spend his retirement years very near the home where he and his wife have lived for two decades. They are downsizing to the bone, I call it. One thousand square feet will take the place of a three bedroom house.

I admire their fortitude in getting rid of most of their material goods. Could I do that? I'm not sure.
I might be able to change locations, but I would have to give up so much of what I enjoy to live in a tiny house. My books, my computers and printers, my binders with years of research and where would my sister and brother-in-law sleep?

I am sleeping better now that I made my decision to stay put. I was told that the cost of moving would be as much as staying in my house and making all the updates and repairs needed here. I am told my entire deck will need to be replaced soon, but I will think about that tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have found the decision which is right for you.
    Moving? I shudder to think of it. Though I may have to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I live in a 1000-square-foot apartment and find it plenty big for the two of us. When guest come to visit, we put them up in nearby hotels. And without any children or grandchildren, it works for us. I'll have to read that post. Thanks for the link! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.