Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, July 12, 2019

On Ageing and still making a difference

Jane Fonda is often criticized by others for what she did when she was a very young activist who wanted to end the Vietnam War. She has apologized over and over for the photo made and published at the time.

But she is now an octogenarian. Like many of us, she has earned a great deal of wisdom just by living her life.
I enjoyed reading her post on her blog about turning 80.
If you are an older person, I think you will relate to the good and the bad things about ageing. If you are young, pay attention and learn from what she says.

Fonda is funny and serious about turning 80 and about what she fears for our country. She will be an activist until she draws her last breath, I'm sure. 

I feel as she does about the state of our United States and the world, but I just don't have the energy she does to keep up the fight. I have to let others do that. I hope our younger men and women will wake up to what is happening to us before it is too late to make the necessary changes. 

Will those running on the Democratic ticket be able to convince enough Americans of what this country needs to change and to do to keep our democracy? I hope so. Even stanch conservatives I know say they will vote for anyone who can get the present man out of the Oval Office. Maybe that will help turn things around. 
I am grateful we have Jane Fonda and others who beat the drum and never run out of steam as they cry for human rights, for equality for all, for the downtrodden and those who sometimes need just a helping hand. We all know what is needed, but we must vote for someone who will do what is needed. 

What do you think about ageing? What about activism? What do you think our future holds?

5 comments:

  1. Loved Jane's post.
    And hope in a much smaller way that I also make (and will continue to make) a positive difference.
    And yes, your current President and those he encourages worldwide scare me witless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ageing is inevitable, unless... no, I think I'll hope to turn eighty, even if I sure won't look like Jane Fonda. Of course, she has plenty of help from plastic surgery and cosmetics. But still, she is beautiful. I will read that article, thanks for the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, I know you make a positive difference with your volunteerism. I just hope to be relevant in my late years of life. A friend of mine, retired, who lives in Robbinsville, NC writes an article for the local newspaper on a regular basis. I enjoy his thoughtful analysis of what is happening in this world. He is not political but points out what we all should be aware of.
    He will do a guest post for me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, I agree with not being able to look like Jane Fonda. I just wish I looked like me, but that woman in my mirror looks like someone I don't know. At times ageing gets me down, but other times, I am just so grateful to have lived this long and to have had such a good life -even with all the losses of loved ones - I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post brought in some emails from readers. One good friend, a loyal reader, said she enjoyed Jane Fonda's movies but detested her politics. She also said she wished people would not be so mean and nasty when they discussed politics. I completely agree. I liked that President Obama and President Bush never got down in the gutter when answering criticism of their foes.
    I believe the name-calling and the social media nastiness began in 2016. I hate to see anyone, especially one in power, try to humiliate others, belittle others, and act like a big bully.
    Many men who abuse their wives use verbal meanness to dominate them. I have known men who did that. I wanted to cry when I saw it. Verbal abuse is as much abuse and as harmful as actual hitting. I hope we can get back our civil discourse and those leading our country will be civilized in their speech and in their mannerisms.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.