Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Let’s Hear it for the Good Things

I thought about venting in this blog post, but decided to be positive and write about the good things I have experienced this week.

1. Brain and Life – this is a free magazine that comes to my box six times a year. It is chock full of good information about health, especially for those of us with any kind of neurological problem (nerve problems) or who have a family history of stroke, heart attack, etc. Read this article on their website. (I love that I should eat chocolate or continue to drink my night time hot chocolate.)

2. Hayesville, NC – My little town nestled in the mountains of western North Carolina is so pretty downtown.  I wish you all could visit. Beautiful flowers are everywhere – on the square, in front of businesses, looking cheerful and welcoming. Thank you Sandy Zimmerman who is always working for this community. I see her on the square often caring for the flowers. The square, where so much entertainment takes place, is a work of art. Even the trash cans look like art! Our old red brick courthouse is on the register of Historic Buildings. It is way over 100 years old and in the last ten years with help from Sandy and other volunteers in Clay County it has been repaired and looks like new.

3. My deck and the long flight of steps up to my front door have been repaired and painted. My good friend, John, did all the work in the hot summer heat, and I know he didn’t charge me his normal fee for that work. Thank you, John, for all you do for me.

4. I like that the bag boys, men and girls who work at Ingles supermarket are so sweet to me and quick to offer to help me with my groceries. I like to shop where the people are friendly and smile. Of course, I always ask about them and show interest in their welfare. Maybe that helps.

5. It is wonderful that my friend, Mary Mike, feels she can call me at the last minute and say “Let’s have dinner tonight.” And I can say sure or I can say I can’t tonight. She understands. But we both love those impromptu meals together where we catch up with each other’s activities, and we can discuss our families or our grievances, and we know what we say will not go any further than our friend's ears and hearts.

6. Sometimes at night, maybe even as late as ten o’clock, my dear friend, Estelle calls me. By that time, I have usually left my computer and settled on the sofa. She finds herself alone then and we talk. She reads more than I do because she is partially disabled, and she tells me about what books she is reading or what she read recently. Like me, Estelle is a life-long learner. She is a writer and recently bought a word processor so she can sit in her easy chair and type. Computers have so many bells and whistles and just a simple slip of a finger can set off an error that is impossible to fix. I have often thought it would be wonderful if Dell would make a simple, uncomplicated computer for writers, without all those high tech tasks that we don’t need. Maybe a word processor is just the answer.

For my next blog post I might write about what really got under my skin this week, but I will wait and see how I feel then. I might have more to write about than I do now.

How about you, Readers? Did you have some good experiences you want to share with us? Email or leave a comment below.



4 comments:

  1. Some most excellent things here - which we all need.
    I hope they overbalance the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda, I'm glad you shared some good things today. There's too much negativity in the world. I, too, am glad I can continue eating chocolate and drinking cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote this morning about the wonderful customer service of my eyeglasses place. I recently lost mine and they were able to duplicate them exactly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have more good news for me. I lost my set of keys last Friday evening downtown at the coffee shop where we held a reading. Today a man who was there emailed and said he didn't know how it happened but he found some keys in his bad he had with him Friday night. I was so delighted to hear that!
    So good things keep happening in spite of all the BAD news on TV.
    If we don't look for the good in our lives, we will go nuts, I think. As a woman, too much stress is bad for my health and I am working hard on keeping my health.
    Thanks, EC, Abbie and DJan for your support of my blog. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.