Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, March 11, 2019

If you can hear the whispering about you and never yield to deal in whispers, too

I heard from a regular reader of this blog, Pat D. down in Florida. She commented on my last post.

She said they had a tradition in her family. All the girls, when they reach the age of ten, receive a copy of If - For Girls by Elizabeth Lincoln Otis

"For some reason I thought I remembered the phrase you quoted “to keep our heads when all about us were losing theirs” as being in that print, “If – for girls.” As you can see, it wasn’t. A very old fashioned set of values, but still not bad advice…even though I wonder what young girls and/or today’s more confident, socially and politically assertive young women think of it (especially the ‘sweet and gentle spirit’ part), and even more so, what the ones who receive it in the future will think of it." 
 
 
IF - for girls
-Elizabeth Lincoln Otis

If you can hear the whispering about you
And never yield to deal in whispers, too;
If you can bravely smile when loved ones doubt you
And never doubt, in turn, what loved ones do;
If you can keep a sweet and gentle spirit
In spite of fame or fortune, rank or place,
And though you win your goal or only near it,
Can win with poise or lose with equal grace;

If you can meet with Unbelief, believing,
And hallow in your heart, a simple creed,
If you can meet Deception, undeceiving,
And learn to look to God for all you need;
If you can be what girls should be to mothers:
Chums in joy and comrades in distress,
And be unto others as you'd have the others
Be unto you - - no more, and yet no less;

If you can keep within your heart the power
To say that firm, unconquerable "No,"
If you can brave a present shadowed hour
Rather than yield to build a future woe;
If you can love, yet not let loving master,
But keep yourself within your own self's clasp,
And not let Dreaming lead you to disaster
Nor Pity's fascination loose your grasp;

If you can lock your heart on confidences
Nor ever needlessly in turn confide;
If you can put behind you all pretenses
Of mock humility or foolish pride;
If you can keep the simple, homely virtue
Of walking right with God - - then have no fear
That anything in all the world can hurt you - -
And - - which is more - - you'll be a Woman, dear.



You may remember the poem If - for Boys which we read in school. I always liked both poems.
I remember part of If - for Boys:"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"


The ending line is "You'll be a man, my son."

What do you think girls of today would say about this poem?
 
 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely poem. I never heard of it before, and I think it would seem very dated to today's youth. But what do I know about that? Not much, given that I'm a septuagenarian with no grandchildren. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, DJan. I have no idea what young people of today like, hate or want. I have no children and therefore, no grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.