Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, January 13, 2019

What We Learn from Our Past

Like many this time of year, I find myself reflecting on the past as well as planning for the future. I read more in winter, and because I have been ill for a couple of weeks, I have more time to read. Today I pulled out some old diaries from when I was twelve years old and had practically nothing to say. When I was thirteen, my mind was on horses and boys. I wrote about my best friends and teenage parties. What a sheltered life I led, a little country girl whose world was so tiny.

When we finally got a television set in 1953, I watched Elvis Pressley and fell in love. I couldn’t wait to see his first movie, Love Me Tender, but was extremely disappointed in him as an actor. In fact, I hoped he would not make any more pictures because he was better as an entertainer, I thought. The TV opened my world a little bit, but we only got channel 2, out of Atlanta and the programming was pretty limited.
In my diary I wrote about hay rides and prom parties. In one of these diaries, I wrote about my first kiss.
 I can almost see my life as a nineteen-fifties movie with me as the simple sweet girl without a serious care in the world, sort of a Doris Day type. All I had to do was try to look pretty and do my best to catch the eye of the boy I liked. When I look back on that time I realize that I, like most kids that age, was totally engrossed with ME.

Actually, I was not the carefree girl all the time. I had a darker side. The least thing could send me into self-doubt and depression, although no one used that word then. Sometimes I could be difficult to understand. I learned that from reading what my sister and my mother had to say about me. I found letters my mother wrote and was surprised that she worried so much about me. She said I was either up or down, no middle ground for me.
I could almost hear Mother’s voice in her letters to Gay. I got the feeling she didn’t worry that much about my younger sister who was level-headed and didn’t get upset easily. They were so much alike. But I inherited my father’s temperament, I think. He was volatile, brooding and easily angered.
Finding and reading old letters decades after they were written opened my eyes to what others thought about me, to what kind of a child I was. Maybe I was needy, but didn’t know I was. Could I have been what people now call “high maintenance?”

Best Friends then and now

 My poor mother had five children already when I came along. I was a surprise and I’m sure my father did not relish another mouth to feed. He already had his four boys and he had one girl. Then five years after the last child, I came along. I was very lucky. I had all of Mother’s attention and also that of my older sister. I was loved and I knew it.

Two and a half years later my sister, Gay, was born and then I had my life-long best friend. I had no reason to be blue, but as I grew up, I tended to think about sad things, and I worried about things that might happen. My greatest fear was losing my mother. I was terrified that she would die and leave me. As a child I prayed that I would die before she did. It was odd that I worried so about her because she was the healthiest one of our family. My father was the one who was sick so often.
I once wrote a poem comparing myself to an antique silver pitcher pouring sustenance for others, leaving nothing for myself. I think that pitcher was really my mother, the nurturing person who held us together as a family. She gave everything for her family and took nothing for herself. She was the most unselfish person I have ever known. She never complained about her life, what was lacking or what she didn’t have. When I look back, I realize that Mother never resented the pretty clothes, the nice houses or anything her relatives had. She was happy for them. Eventually she had a very nice house, but she was never hung up on things.
Objects you could purchase were not important to her – the people in her life were. Nothing made her happier than having a visit from her Florida relatives. She loved cooking a big meal for them and hearing all about their lives. She was a people-person and I am the same. I can be feeling blah, but if I go out and visit with friends, I feel wonderful.

I am in process of ridding myself of lots of material things—things I don’t need, will never use again or just hang on to because they were a gift from someone I love. Things are not special if they don’t answer a need or “bring me joy” as Maria the precious little Japanese Tidying lady says. It is the sentimental part of me that finds it hard to let things go. Do you have that problem?
You, my readers, are special to me. Even those of you I don’t know or might never meet in person. I appreciate each one of you and hope you find my posts of interest. I love to hear from you, so leave a comment or send me an email.

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I am trying to declutter. And am being foiled by my partner who is reluctant to let things go. Mind you, books are my sticking point. I find it hard to discard them. Other things are much easier.
    I kept no diaries but wouldn't go back to being a teenager for anyone. I remember it as an anxious and difficult time. Trying to 'belong' and trying to disguise my self in ways which were more 'appealing'. Or that I thought would be so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC, Barry was like your guy. He held on to everything long after we had no use for it. I fight that in myself, but it is hard to throw out something that still has use, but is not likely to be something else would want.
    Like you, I have way too many books in my house. In my studio, I have four book cases filled and in my living area, I have more books. Many I have read, but some are books I plan to read.
    Yes, being a teen is not what I would want to do again. It is such a difficult time in life as we try to figure out who we are and what we want to be. I think even those girls I thought had it made, would not want to go back to that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, you have a wonderful readership and I enjoy your blog. I want to relate to my readers as you do.
    My mother taught me so much about life. Her life was a lesson to others. Glenn Close's speech about her mother made me think about how my mother's life was service to her family. She was so hurt and disappointed when Daddy retired from the family business because then she was cut out of it and she didn't want to be retired. She had lived her ambitions through her husband and her sons. When she was not included in meetings or helping in any way, she felt she had lost much of her reason to be. Her children were grown and married. She didn't feel needed anymore. I could cry just thinking of her pain that no one even recognized. Women in her generation often had no recourse. They accepted what they had to and made the best of it. I often think their last years together were the hardest for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my house, there's a room full of my late husband's computer and other equipment I no longer use plus a bokkshelf in my master bedroom containing his old records and some old books. A lot of his other stuff is in the garage. In the past six years that he's been gone, I haven't yet been able to bring myself to get rid of any of it, and I pobably won't until such time when I'll need to downsize and move to an apartment or ⠎⠢⠊⠕⠗ living facility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbie, I still have some of Barry's things and I am in no hurry to let them go. Keep them as long as they give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.