Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

When Mourning Comes

This past week has been a sad one for me because I have heard bad news from several sources.



One of my dearest friends has been diagnosed with metastasized breast cancer, stage IV. She is elderly and has had two mastectomies. It breaks my heart. She was my "Guardian Angel" when Barry died. She was never too busy to talk with me, to counsel me about losing your mate, she had gone through it, and going on with your life. She has a delightful personality and finds humor even when things are tough. We used to go out for pizza often, and we always laughed. She is a good person, a great cook who shares her wonderful dishes with anyone who needs them. She has certainly fed me many times. If I took her food I cooked, it would be like taking coals to New Castle. 

The husband of another friend died quite suddenly after a diagnoses of lung cancer. He was not elderly. In fact he was running for sheriff in our county. He was a good man and well respected. I saw his wife, a former student of mine, just a couple of weeks ago, and she said his back had been hurting. She was getting him an appointment to see the doctor. I need to take his campaign sign from in front of my house. 

And the third loss was another friend and member of our writers' network. He went in the hospital for a valve replacement in his heart and was recovering from the surgery. But suddenly he suffered bleeding in his brain. A stroke. His daughter said it was due to his being given too much blood thinner. Mistakes happen, I know. But so many mistakes in hospitals take the lives of people we love. I try to avoid hospitals if I possibly can. I lost too many loved ones, including my dear husband, from mistakes by the medical world.

So, I am sorry if I can't write a cheery bright post today. You deserve better, but I have been too depressed to even get dressed to go out. 

My life has been filled with loss since 1975, losses I had to learn to deal with and had to accept and go on. That year my mother suffered a ruptured aneurysm on a carotid artery, lost her short term memory and was never the same. My sisters' husband, a man I truly loved, died from a doctor's mistake.

Since that time I lost a brother to cancer, two brothers to heart attacks, my mother and my father have died. My oldest sister, June, died from heart problems, and my own beloved died from cancer. 

Each of these seven deaths slammed me to my knees, and I had to pull myself back up and go on. The recent deaths and illness I write about above seem harder because I don't have Barry to talk to, to share with him my feelings and to be comforted by him. 

The men who recently passed away were not that close to me so why do I feel such despair? I feel for their wives, their families because I know that pain of grief that seems to never end. I am more empathetic than most, I'm told, and I feel deeply others' pain. But my feelings for my friend with breast cancer is not only for her and her family, but for me. 

I am sharing a poem I wrote a few years ago. I went to the funeral of a man whose wife I knew. 


For Whom Do I Mourn?

I never met this man who owns
the casket covered in white flowers.
They say he was a craftsman,
hand-built chairs, rivaled scholars
with his logic, his understanding,
though he never finished high school.
.
He entertained his grandchildren,
made funny faces, loved a joke,
was a VIP at church and in his home.
Beside his grave, gray-haired soldiers
fold the flag. That haunting bugle tune
lays him to rest.

Why do my eyes moisten?
Why does my throat constrict?
I cry not for the old soldier,
but for my own, who lie beneath
their stones, under still and leafy oaks
above the pond.


Posts you might want to read:

4 comments:

  1. Your comment on my post worried me a little. And this post makes it all clear. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring. We never 'get over' grief. We find a way to live with it. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so sorry to hear of all these terrible events happening at once. And many of us are reeling with sadness from the state of our country right now. It's a hard time, but we will get through it if we are willing to ask for help. Thank you for being willing to bare your heart in this post. I am sending you my wishes for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your losses and hope next week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friends. It helps to share our feelings. I feel your oompasion. Tomorrow will be better' I believe.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.