Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, August 9, 2018

A Child's Escape to the Barn

My readers, my friends, know that I grew up on a farm in southwest Georgia. I loved the barn on the farm. As you can tell in this poem, I found lots to be interested in. The smells, the light and darkness, the animals and just the atmosphere was comforting.


A Child’s Escape to the Barn
By Glenda Council Beall

I enter the barn through the corn crib.
Flour dusts the floor around the hand mill.
Gray mice feed on cracked kernels;
either very brave or too greedy

to notice my intrusion.
The fragrance of cottonseed meal,
heady in my nostrils, tempts me
to see if it really tastes like toasted nuts.

Light shoots into darkness through narrow
crevices between wide rough boards.
Rays seek out the spiders' lacy traps
lining corners, the angle made by roof and wall.

Chickens, fat and full, sit placid,
in straw-filled boxes hung high above
the ground, protected from predators
except one that coils, swallows their eggs.

Musty smells arise from the lot
where hard-worked mules munch on grain
in troughs held fast to cured pine walls
by hammered twenty-penny nails.

I climb the ladder to the loft.
Wide eyes of feral kittens peep
from behind bales of hay. They skitter
away, tails aloft, straight as flag poles.

Tiny English sparrows twitter and flit.
Some nest on rafters under the eaves. 
I’m a natural born citizen of this place
but they have made a home here.

Without warning a summer shower pounds
the tin roof, runs off and wets the black mix
of dung and dirt, serves me up an odor rich
with life. I'm overcome with contentment.

This poem and others similar to it will be included in the book, Paws, Claws, Hooves, Feathers and Fins, by Estelle Darrow Rice and Glenda Council Beall. Use the contact box at the top of the Sidebar to order the book at the discount price of $14.00 plus $3.00 S&H
This lovely creature has a story in the book.


2 comments:

  1. Such an evocative depiction of precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem, Glenda. Congratulations on the new book.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.