Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, July 8, 2018

TALKING AROUND THE TABLE WITH MY SISTER

A visit with my sister, Gay, is the best tonic for what ails me. She has been with me this weekend and we had such a good time. 


We watched some interesting videos on You Tube about a product that she is using for her little dog, Sunny, who has been sick and limping badly this past week. We found videos on a product, protandim, which she has been giving Sunny on the advice of a lady who rescues and heals dogs and cats. Sunny was allergic to the medicine given by the veterinarian. 

I was glad to hear that when Gay arrived home, Sunny was walking better and happy to see her mama. If this product, which is said to erase the free radicals from our cells, reduce pain and inflammation, works to heal little Sunny, you can bet I am going to try it, too. 

Gay and I come from a large family that sat around our big dining room table to discuss all the important issues that needed attention. We also sat around that table just to talk to each other after a meal, sometimes for hours. 

At one time the family business was discussed and plans were made around that table. C.L. Council and Sons met there, not at an office. 

This weekend, Gay and I spent time sitting around tables - at dinner on Friday night with a friend, lunch on Saturday at a restaurant, breakfast today. But we often sit around my dining room table just to catch up with each other. We both decided that the best talking is done while at a table.

My writing studio is called Writers Circle around the Table because the best connections come from sitting around a table. My students and I sit together at the table where we share our stories and help each other with writing them.

What do you think about sitting around a table? Does it help with conversation? 




8 comments:

  1. And the very best conversations of them all are at a kitchen table...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit around a table at the coffee shop every morning and it does seem to help with our conversations. You are so fortunate to have your sister with you, and I'm interested in that product that is helping with the dog's mobility. Maybe it would help others, too. I'll check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up, especially during the summer months, when relatives came from far and wide to visit, the adults often congregated around Grandma's kitchen table and talked for hours. They sometimes played spoons. I'm glad you had an enjoyable visit with your sister and hope that ⠏⠗⠕⠙⠥⠉⠞ works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post Glenda! Yes there is something about sitting around a table that encourages good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitchen tables are the best, but I only have one table where I eat. It is a small round table, not formal at all.
    When I was a kid we had one big table for all our big family, no kitchen table.
    Later Mother and Daddy had a smaller table that seated about five people and it was near the kitchen. We talked and talked around that table also. After the boys were gone and only Gay and I were home, we seldom ate at the big dining table.
    EC, thanks for stopping in today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, I should get my protandim next week. Gay ordered some for me. I hope it helps me as much as it has helped Sunny the dog.
    I am fortunate to have my sister only two hours away so she can drive up to see me. We have always enjoyed being together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Abbie. When you say your family played spoons, do you mean hitting the spoons in rhythm, like music? That would be wonderful to hear.
    I love to hear people play the spoons with a band. Rianna Gibbons and her group use spoons on some of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tipper so glad you stopped in. I have been recommending your blog, Blind Pig and the Acorn, to my students. I know they will enjoy reading it as much as I do.
    I'll bet your family did some table sitting and talking.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.