Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, May 25, 2018

When health issues change our lives

In our lives we have good times and difficult times. We have worries and we have joy.

Recently my dear brother-in-law had to have emergency surgery for a heart attack. My sister called to tell me he was having a stent put in for a 100 percent blocked artery. He is doing fine, she said. I said I wished I could be there with her and she said, "You are. I am talking to you on the phone." He is home now and they are doing fine.

Strange, but I was reading my essay about Barry's bypass surgery recovery many years ago, at the time she called. His surgery changed our lives forever. He was only 52 years old. Like I did, Gay will now learn all she can about how to cook for him and what her husband can and should not eat that will help him prevent another heart attack. She said the doctor said he would need to change his lifestyle. I'm sure Stu will get on an exercise program and will be careful of his diet. He doesn't smoke and, I think, lives a healthy lifestyle. He has been a runner ever since I first met him, but I think he has cut down on that because of knee problems.

Barry did not have a healthy lifestyle. He smoked heavily until his surgery, but he quit and never smoked another cigarette. He began to walk every day and then he began jogging. He was under the care of good cardiologists and he lived twenty-two years after his heart surgery. That made a real believer of me that smoking is the worst thing you can do to your heart. Ironically, Barry died from complications of cancer. The chemo killed his heart.

Another family member will have surgery on the 24th, and my thoughts are with her. It sounds like a difficult recovery ahead. A few weeks ago a dear cousin underwent heart surgery and is recovering now. He is dealing with the aftermath including depression and other issues that he was not expecting to face.

How can I even thing of complaining of my aches and pains when people I care about are suffering? I am happy that physical therapy is helping me recover my mobility.  

Lexie always makes me smile and cuddles with me. She makes bad times better.
I have completed the writing course I taught for ICL and I am preparing for a new writing course I will teach for the next six weeks. My class has made and I look forward to working with the students at my studio. Joy is coming to compete with the worry and concern.

That is what life is all about--good times and bad--and how we handle each.
I've known my share of both. I know for sure, that having loving family and friends who are there in person or by phone or email, makes a world of difference. I hope I am never too busy with my life to reach out to someone who needs to hear from me. And I hope if I am the one who needs someone, that my family and friends will be there for me. I hope you have the same.



5 comments:

  1. Life is indeed a mixture.
    Sending good wishes to all those undergoing surgery and to those in recovery mode. And to their families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's inevitable that we will all eventually get sick with something, but the trick is to enjoy every moment we have with our loved ones.I have friends who mean as much to me as any family member, so that raises the number of people to love, and to worry about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda, I know what you mean by health issues changing lives. After my late husband Bill suffered his first stroke, our lives changed drastically. He could no longer care for himself, and I had to do almost everything for him. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC AND DJAN,
    Thanks for your good wishes. My BIL is doing well. Sleeping more than usual, but he is on meds and recovering nicely. My sister, is dealing with late onset stress and she too is resting more. She spent a couple of days with me.
    Yes, Djan, I have friends who are loved as family members. I don't know what I would do without them. I am blessed, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbie, you certainly know how health issues change your life. When my husband was diagnosed with cancer, my entire world changed as yours did when Bill had his stroke. But you have managed wonderfully to carry on with your life. Thanks for reading my post. I read yours but don't always take time to comment. I should do better.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.