Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

What will spring and summer bring?

Although there is snow on the ground at my house tonight, spring will be here before we know it. January promises to be a cold, rainy, icy and snowy month here in the mountains. I have all my heating units, central, gas and a couple of heaters working tonight. Lexie wants me to go to bed where she gets under the covers and stays warm. 

But the weather will get better in a couple of months.
I am happy to be going up to Waynesville, NC to meet with the Netwest Mountain Writers on Tuesday, March 13 at 1:00 p.m. Merry Elrick, our NCWN-West Rep heads up that group which meets at the Trailhead Bakery & CafĂ©,18 N. Main Street.  Merry invites writers and people who can speak about the world of writing to their monthly meetings. I enjoy seeing and talking with writers in our region and speaking about NCWN-West. I hope we will have long time members there as well as people who want to know more about our writers organization. I have some good friends I met years ago in the Haywood County region and would love to see them when I am there.

Estelle Rice, author of fiction, poetry, personal essays

Mary Ricketson, Cherokee County rep, has taken over the monthly reading at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. My dear friend, Estelle Rice, will join me on Wednesday, August 22, at 7:00 p.m. She and I have collaborated on a collection of poems, stories and essays about the animals we love and other creatures who share the world with us. Our book, Paws, Claws, Hooves, Feathers and Fins, will be published by the time we read at the folk school. 

I hope our local readers will put this date on their calendar and come out to hear about our book and hear Estelle read her delightful stories. 

When the book is ready, I will post information on where it can be purchased and I am sure, if you buy this book, you will get some smiles and even some laughs from it. But, you will also read some touching words, especially if you like pets or have had pets in your home. 





6 comments:

  1. Have fun. I am looking forward to reading the book. A house is not a home without a pet. Or not for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up about a book I'd love to purchase! Have a wonderful time, Glenda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, I feel the same way. I enjoy my pets and I have had cats, dogs and horses that were very dear to me. You will like one story of mine I think - An Angel Named Amos - about Barry and a horse that changed him.

    Estelle has a story titled Found Hound.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, I am excited about seeing this book published, finally. Estelle took care of her husband of 70 plus years who had Alzheimer's until his death last year. Our book has been in the planning stages for a long time and I will be very happy to see it in print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring can't come too soon for me! ;-0 But it is lovely to snuggle inside with a lovely pet, a hot tea, a good book as the snow falls outside. I find it the best time to write write write, since I can't BE outside. Here's to BEING inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    Thanks for stopping in. I love the prompt on your blog today with the three chairs. I am mulling over some ideas for my own flash fiction.
    I am finding myself writing more even if it is late at night, like tonight. I have always been a nightwriter.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.