Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Holidays - soon they will be over, but we have memories to keep

It is almost 2018 here in the United States, but some of you live in other places and have celebrated the coming of the New Year.

As the year ends I am concentrating on my blessings of the past twelve months. I am not going to make resolutions. I never do. I like the idea of choosing a word for the year and letting that word guide you through everything you do in the coming months. I subscribed to a site that will send me a directory to use to choose my word. I will work on that tomorrow, but tonight I am listening to the angelic voices of Celtic Woman and writing my posts for this weekend.

I have spent the holidays with my sister and brother-in-law, Gay and Stu, and it has been great. I sleep whenever I want or need to, and eat whenever I get hungry. I go to good restaurants we don't have in the mountains and experience different foods or good food that I don't give myself permission to purchase at home where I am on a frugal budget, frugal for my bank account and for my health account. I have enjoyed a two week vacation in the city. My bedroom is private and so comfortable. I look out over a pond with wildlife and woods surround the house on three sides. 

I have access to the kitchen at any time to cook or to raid the refrigerator. My hosts went away for a few days, and I had the entire place to myself. 

Today we went to see Hugh Jackman in The Greatest Showman. (Hugh is Barry's first name) It was fun, exciting and filled with uplifting music and story. He is the epitome of a great actor. He sings, dances better than anyone, and has a smile that melts the viewer. In one scene of this movie, for about one minute, his face alone expressed amazement, enjoyment, wonder and sadness - that was miraculous. His movies that I have seen are all great entertainment and show his singing and acting abilities. I would not want to see Wolverine and I think those were movies to make money which they did, but the kinds of movies I like have drama, sentiment and character at which Jackman excels. The Greatest Showman is a PG movie which I also liked. No f-words or unnecessary sex scenes. I'm glad the public is embracing this movie.

We came away feeling happy. We all need to do that this time of year when so many are fearful of what is to come. 

I also took advantage of the Downton Abbey Marathon this weekend. When I could not sleep last night, I watched several episodes and another this morning. Of course I have seen them all, but it was fun to re-visit those delightful characters again. If I could go into a time machine and visit another time and place, I would go to old England where gentility and respect prevailed. I know what I see on TV and movies is mostly fictional, but I can dream, can't I?

As we head into the next twelve months, we don't know what lies ahead, but I am holding on to my belief that good will prevail over evil. I am not a Polly Anna, but I do believe that we reap what we sow. 

When we make good moral decisions and think about the benefits to others, we make this a better world. We can look for the best when choosing people who make our laws. We can listen to the needs of those who don't have a voice in our culture. 

What can we give? We can give love, caring and concern for those who need it. I don't have money to give to all the charities that ask me for donations. But I can give encouragement, support and my time. No one can buy these things for another, but we can offer them to people we know. All around us are men and women who are suffering in some way. Perhaps they are worried about their future, their children, their parents and just need a good listener. I am not a certified counselor, but I can listen and encourage. I need that kind of person in my life and I imagine many others need that person, too.

I wish for all my readers the happiest and healthiest coming year. May your problems be small and your dreams be fulfilled, may your joys in simple things bring you laughter and love, and "May the Good Lord Take a Liking to You."




6 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you have had a truly lovely restorative time over the holidays - which we all need.
    I love your sentiments for the New Year too. I am hoping for a gentler and kinder year that the one which has just gone - and it starts with me.
    Wishing you health and happiness for 2018 and all the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a word for the year, too. I have chosen the word "appreciate" to embrace all that comes my way in this next journey around the sun. I thought of "joy" but it was too narrow. I look forward to the word you find for your year ahead, Glenda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, I did have a restorative time over the holidays. I will be home tomorrow with a long list of projects to get started on in the next few weeks. I, too, hope for a kinder year to come. We can make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, I have not chosen my word for the year, but I will soon. I think "appreciate" is a great word for the year. I try to appreciate what I have and not complain about what is lacking. We have so much to appreciate in our lives. Good health and happiness in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, I'm glad you're having a good vacation in the city. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Abbie. I am home in the mountains now but still feel like I want to hibernate for a while. It is very cold and I have much to do inside, so I can take a few days to get back into "real" life again. I have enjoyed your Christmas posts and your music.
    I hope your new year is filled with happiness and good health.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.