Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

My Go Go Mobile




It was obvious that I would have trouble walking the long distances to the pools and restaurants at the resort where we stayed in Hawaii. Gay mentioned that one of the places we planned to visit had wheelchairs that could be rented while we were there. 

I didn't like the idea of someone pushing me in a wheelchair. I would be a real burden on Gay and Stu and besides Gay is not one to spend much time on any one thing in a museum or gallery. She moves quickly through. She and Barry used to sit outside and wait on Stu and me to eventually read about all the exhibits and join them.

I wondered if I might find a motorized wheelchair that I could rent for the week. I went online and googled motorized wheelchairs. I got lucky. I found U-Go mobility. I called the number listed. One of the owners answered, and I soon realized I had found my answer. A couple of folks, Hugh and Patti, who have taken care of their parents recognized the importance of giving individual care to everyone. So, U-Go Mobility was born.Their primary service is vacation scooter rentals. I chose the Take-Apart Portable Scooter. 

Hugh brought or should I say drove it right up to our place on the 16th floor. He showed us how we could take it with us wherever we wanted to go.

 "This scooter can be taken apart in thirty seconds to store in your trunk and put back together in thirty seconds when you want to use it." If you go to their website you can see him do that. 

I was very impressed, but wondered if I could do it. He separated this thing in five parts in no time at all. First the basket in front came off, then the seat, next the battery, and then the front and the back separated into two parts. The heaviest part was the battery which weighed thirty pounds. I knew that would be too heavy for me, but if Stu would lift that out, I could do it. 


Glenda on the scooter going everywhere she wanted to go

I paid Hugh for four days rental and he left it with us. Gay and Stu would not let me do the work of taking it apart and putting it into the trunk even though I knew I could lift all the parts but the battery. After a few times of taking it apart and putting it together again, Stu had it down to 40 seconds. He is one terrific fellow. He and Gay watched over me like mother hens. Gay was afraid I would hurt my back and be in pain for the whole vacation.  


That mobility scooter would be great to have and I thought about buying one but with all my back issues I am not sure I could manage the battery every time I had to lift it. And Stu lives too far away to call. 

I am not ready to need it all the time, thank goodness, but if the time comes when I do, I found one online that comes with a ramp and a remote control that loads and unloads the scooter. 




5 comments:

  1. Thank you. I am not there (quite) yet, but this is certainly in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! And it's wonderful to have friends like Stu. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, I have never been to vain to use mobile carts in stores once my feet began to hurt me on tile or hard floors. I was afraid I'd be in the middle of the store and have to sit down on the floor because of my feet. People are helpful to me and and I often warn them that I am a bad driver so watch out. We all laugh and I don't have a problem.
    The scooter I rented had RENT ME on it and I laughed and said this doesn't mean rent me. It means rent this scooter. But wait until I am done with it.
    With MS, I know you feel the day will come when you need the scooter full time, but I hope that day is a long way off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, I loved it! Made my life much easier and certainly made Gay's life easier. Stu didn't seem to mind the taking apart of the scooter, and yes, it is wonderful to have friends like Stu and a sister like Gay. They are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, this sounds great. We considered getting a scooter for my late husband Bill, but we both were uncomfortable with him driving it since he was totally blind.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.