Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween Thoughts

I will be going out soon to have lunch with my niece, Lee, and my sister, Gay. This is a birthday lunch for me! I am really  making up for my dismal birthday weekend. I feel great and always have fun with Lee and Gay. Wish Lyn was with us, too,

We were motorcycle gang members at this party
This  time of year when everyone is dressing up for Halloween, I think back on some of the best Halloween parties ever. We were adults in Albany, GA and had a group of  friends who were always ready for a party. The best parties were at the home of Richard and Linda. They went all out for costumes. She made the best witch and Richard was a tall green ghoul.

Barry dressed as a weird old man in overalls and looked so real we gave him a name. Alonzo Carp. No one knew it was Barry. He had a ball as Alonzo. Those were memorable parties. We never spent lots of money on costumes. He bought a mask and everything else was found around the house or borrowed.
Alonzo Carp with our niece, Carrie

When  I was a child on the farm, Halloween was no more than a day at school when we drew jack-o-lanterns and colored fall leaves. What a  difference it is today. Millions of dollars are spent on costumes and candy. I can't help but think how much good all that money could do if it were spent to help the homeless or put toward research for a cure for Parkinson's Disease, Diabetes or other things that cause suffering.

Simple costumes bring kids just as much fun as elaborate ones. With imagination, some clever outfits will do the trick.

Happy Halloween to you, my readers.






4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your belated lunch. And Happy Halloween.
    Dressing up never involved spending money when I was growing up. I am pretty sure we had at least as much (and probably more) fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my first Halloween costumes as a young teenager, for some reason. I've forgotten most of the rest. I hope you had a really fun Halloween. I settled in to read and not one trick or treater. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have fun and enjoyed reading your Halloween memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was with Gay and Stu and no kids came to the door. Now they have to eat that candy! In our area, a Halloween Party is held on the town square and all the children and parents come and have a great time. It is far safer for everyone.
    In my neighborhood I only see retired people and I don't think there is a child anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.