Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Let me tell you about Hawaii

I have been away on a much needed vacation.
My sister and brother-in-law gave me a free vacation in Hawaii for a week. We stayed at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club on the island of Oahu. Our suite was on the 16th floor and wow, did we have a view. The sunsets from our balcony were awesome as the sun dropped into the blue water of the Pacific.

I had to pinch myself every day to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Although Barry and I had some wonderful vacations in the past, this place was the most perfect, I believe. I called ahead a few days before we left to ask that no fragrance or scented products be used in our rooms. Tatyana in reservations made sure my request reached the housekeepers and Marie Joy, the maid,  followed my instructions. I slept extremely well and had no problem breathing. No allergy symptoms inside or outside unless I happened to be near someone wearing perfume.

Although the nine hour flight was hard, I made it fairly well. I did get up and walk a few times, but Delta leaves hardly any aisle space as they cram people into the tiny seats. If Delta took as much care with their customers as Marriott does, I would love to sing their praises. 

I hate few things in this world, but I truly hate public restrooms. On the flight over, every time I had to go, someone had been before me and wet the seat and the floor. I can't imagine why that would happen, not only once, but two times to me. The first time I reported it to the flight attendant. She put on her gloves and cleaned up the mess. But the second time she was nowhere to be found and I had to clean up the mess with no gloves. As I said, flying is not fun for me nor is it for anyone else unless you can afford first class. 

We rented a car at the airport in Honolulu and Stu, whose idea it was to pay for my airline fare, drove us a few miles out of town to the area where several resorts spread along the coast line. 

Stu driving the rental car



It was not until I stood high above the three pools and the restaurants and shops that I realized it would require lots of walking for me to get around here. I gave it my best effort when we went down for dinner that night. But walking back was harder. I had to take it slow and rest often.  

Looking down at the Reflection pool and the beach area 


We saw the sunset every afternoon from our deck. One could almost believe she had left her world and now lived in a totally new one. 

The next day we used our time to get over the long trip. We rested and slept most of the time. I developed a deep and abiding love for my bed at the condo. It was the best I've ever slept on and I could have spent the entire week right there. But, I didn't. 

I found the secret to getting around the large resort and even accompanying Gay and Stu on a hike. More about that later.




6 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you had a much deserved holiday - and that it was a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! And those sunsets are truly lovely. I'm curious as to how you managed to get around better. I'm thinking a motorized vehicle? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda, this sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi EC and Djan,
    It was a lovely trip and already a fond memory. I came home and had trouble getting over the jet lag, but today I am almost back to normal.
    In my next post, I'll have pictures to show you of my traveling method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your vivid description of your condo in Hawaii and how much you enjoyed your vacation to the island paradise. It sounds heavenly, for sure. So glad you were able to relax and enjoy your time in Hawaii. I look forward to hearing/seeing more. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbie, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you are interested in reading more.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.