Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Good Night's Sleep Bartered for Poetry?

I have been so pleased at the number of my friends in the writing community who have told me about gluten free products available here. Today Karen Holmes brought me some delicious crackers, that I can get at the grocery store. Maren Mitchell says a local health food store carries wonderful bread! I plan to go and pick up some today.

I am pleased to say that I feel much better this weekend and have been getting some things done around here. 

Will Wright, poet and editor, and a nice young man, is my house guest. He is teaching a class at my studio this morning. Like so many of my guests, Will exclaimed that he had never had such a good night's sleep as he did in my downstairs bedroom. Karen stayed here before and she agreed. She said it is comforting, like being in the womb. Now isn't that the words of a poet?

I think it is the darkness and the quiet. With no windows to let in the morning light, a person could forget to get up. Will asked permission to come and stay one night each month just to get a really good night's sleep. I told him we could barter, my favorite thing to do. He can help me with my poetry, and I'll provide him with a room where he can rest and sleep as long as he wants.  


I am the most fortunate person I know. I have work that I love, and through that work, I meet people I enjoy and admire. Each day brings me more joy and gratitude for what I have. 

5 comments:

  1. You are indeed fortunate. It sounds like a perfect arrangement! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this post's title, I thought at first you were going to talk
    about how you attended an all night poetry slam instead of going to bed
    at a reasonable hour and getting a good night's sleep. I'm glad that
    wasn't the case, and I'm also glad you have a guest room where people
    can have a restful night. It sounds like you and Will Wright have an
    excellent arrangement. Happy writing.

    --
    Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of
    We Shall Overcome
    and
    How to Build a Better Mousetrap: Recollections and Reflections of a
    Family Caregiver
    http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
    http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
    "You've got to get up every morning, put a smile on your face, and show
    the world all the love in your heart." Carole King

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you found that store and the bread, and do you like it???

    Thanks for linking my name to one of my favorite poems.

    Maren O. Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had the time to go there yet, Maren. I hope to get over to Ranger next week. I am doing much better and just cutting way back on bread for now.
    We missed you at CWP today. Had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you are feeling better, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.