Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

SHORT STORY CONTEST DEADLINE MAY 31

When we write our life stories, sometimes it is easier to write them as fiction. In fiction we can imagine or make up things that happened. We don't have to stick to the exact facts. Many novels are taken from real life experiences. Hemingway's novels are full of his actual adventures.
Below I have listed a place where you can enter a short story for a contest with Glimmer Train.
A short story is FICTION. A memoir is NOT Fiction. A memoir is true.
Try taking a true story you have written and rewrite it as a short story(fiction).

Upcoming deadline:
  • The Short Story Award for New Writers (yes, 1st place now wins $1,500 and publication!) closes May 31. See Writing Guidelines.
  • Open only to writers whose fiction has not appeared (nor is scheduled to appear) in any print publication with a circulation over 5,000. Submissions must not have appeared in any print publication.
  • Word count: most submissions run 1,500 to 6,000 words but can go up to 12,000. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.