Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

History can be more fun when learned from a play

On September 19, in Murphy, NC, a play, Birdell, by Gary Carden, will be presented at the Learning Center. Birdell is not a real person, but she comes alive on the stage when played by Bobbie Curtis, a 75 year old actress from Lenoir NC.
Birdy could be real. Gary has written her as a woman who lived in the mountains of southwestern NC in the early twentieth century. Since Gary is a native of the area, he knows the history that Birdell tells us from her setting outside her cabin.
I can't wait to see this play. After Birdell leaves the stage, Gary and Bobbie will talk with the audience and answer questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.